SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgsd_gw

Which direction should I lay the floor?

kgsd
16 years ago

We are installing Mannington Castle Rock Birch engineered wood throughout our house, except in the kitchen and bathrooms. I'm having a hard time deciding which way to lay the floors.

Here's the layout of our house. (It doesn't include kitchen, garage, or dining room (those rooms are on the left side and don't factor in to my decision). It's not to scale. "FP" stands for the large see-through fireplace that divides the office and living room.)

{{gwi:1563019}}

So far, I have heard these tips on how to decide which way to lay the floors:

1. Parallel to the direction that sunlight comes into the windows

2. Running away from you (instead of side to side) when you come in the main entry

3. Running the long way in the longest room

4. Running the long way in a hall

These don't all give the same results:

Numbers 1 and 2 support running north-south. The main feature of our house is the gorgeous view you see out the back doors when you walk into the front door, and there's a lot of natural light that comes in through those doors. Most of the windows are on the south side of the house.

3 and 4 support running east-west, parallel to the back wall of the living room/office and the long way in the hallway.

The shop owner who sold me the wood said it's not desirable to change direction on the floor. He said that changing direction is only common in older homes that have had additions when new floor is laid.

So what do you think? All north-south, all east-west, or change directions?

Comments (14)