SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michele525

engineered flooring over concrete slab - nightmare! HELP

michele525
16 years ago

Here's the story. We're trying to install engineered flooring over a concrete slab floor in our home just north of Tampa, Fl. There was a crack that went the width of the slab and the slab was uneven so the installers chipped out and patched the floor and the crack. They layed down a glue down engineered floor the next day. There was some hollowness to the floor so we insisted that be fixed. Upon pulling up the section that was hollow the installers discovered the floor was now wet underneath. (Note: They said they used a moisture reader before laying the floor and it was fine)They pulled up the entire floor (and subsequently chipped some of the slab and made a mess of my house.) The moisture reader measured high where they had patched while we were there to witness it but they said it measure high the day before (while we were not home) in areas far from the crack and where they patched. Now the moisture reader is measuring off the charts only along where the crack was, but a 2 to 3 elsewhere. We can find no water pipe leaks and our water bill has remained steady so we have no idea where the moisture is coming from. The home was built in the late 70's. My question - is there any kind of engineered wood floor we can put down with a measurement this high? We've looked into floating floors and have a pergo in my daughter's bedroom that is fine but hubby hates the hollow sound. I'm also concerned that putting a moisture barrier down will entrap the moisture between the slab and plastic and we will get a mold problem Also, can there be a problem with the patching material the installers used? They said it is supposed to dry in 3 hours but I'm wondering, if the crack went all the way down the slab (4") could it take this long to dry?

Comments (5)