SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tekwarren

Ground water heat pump + natural gas

10 years ago

Long time reader but just registered for some help on my specific home HVAC setup.

Recently purchased a new home that is around 15-16 years old. The house had some sort of energy audit by the previous owner and he had extra insulation and some other things done.

The HVAC consists of a Goodman 95% efficient nat gas furnace as well as a ground water source heat pump (can't recall the brand at the moment). I'm fairly certain there are no electric heating strips used. When the thermostat is set emergency mode, the nat gas furnace kicks on.

Throughout this whole last year even after having everything check out last year I'm still left wondering how best to use this system. The previous owner said he ran in EM mode all winter (Michigan) and stated he figured it to be cheaper (?). Maybe offset electric costs? I ran mostly using the heat pump last winter, after having it checked out. This winter I am running EM mode just natural gas trying determine differences. I have a rising electric bill (instead of going down!) and now a gas bill on top of it all. I know electric usage is relative my family's habits but I tell you I am pretty anal about shutting things off when not in use, even minimal lighting at night!

This winter and last I run a constant temp all the time, whatever feels comfortable to us. This year it's been at 67 day and night. The blower runs 24/7 which concerns me but the temp seems to remain rock solid. I don't think the blower is stuck on as I can turn the temp down and the blower will turn off. I'm assuming the blower is maintaining more constant temps throughout the house but I don't know if it is adding to my electric bill (versus turning on and off with the furnace). Filters are change religiously.

If I go back to "normal" mode on the stat using the ground water source pump as the primary can I efficiently utilize set back temps? Everything I read says set it at one temp and leave it. But I wish I could somehow get a better balance of the two heat sources I have available to me or at least use them most efficiently. My wife and I are out of the house ~10hrs a day during the week so that is a lot of time for a possible setback temp but I'm not sure how much is safe or cost effective.

I have a lot of questions I don't even know how to ask still. I specifically asked the HVAC tech ahead of time I wanted familiarization but I didn't get much. I know he did some maintenance a year ago and repeatedly mentioned how good things looked when he cleaned them. A pressure meter was installed that has a floating bead to show active water pressure. He also did something with the fan wiring I think to increase it or something...not quite sure.

I keep wondering if I need a better tstat to handle these two types of heat sources? I would assume that it is ok to handle them since the previous owner was not the kind of guy to skimp or do things half-.... I looked up a bunch of info on it and can't remember the model honeywell it is at the moment.

Thanks to all who take the time to read and comment on this long post! Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz