SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamacol_gw

carpet install help needed

mamacol
16 years ago

Hi, I am hoping to get some advice about my carpet installation. I had about 1600 sq ft installed a few weeks ago, and the seams are very visible. I had the guy from the flooring company out here today and he agrees that there are some problems. The carpet has a pretty visible tone-on-tone pattern, and along one seam the dots don't line up, another seam has glue along the edges so it doesn't blend right, another seam is a crosswise one right in the major traffic area of the room.

The repair guy tried to make the cross-wise seam less visible, but it is still bad in my eyes. He said that if I didn't "object", they would send the original installers out to give them "one last chance" to correct their mistakes. If that doesn't work, then they replace all the carpet. I wonder if I should have just told them to skip the step of having the guys come out again, and just get the new carpet. My concern is that the crosswise seam won't ever be invisible enough to look acceptable. Even if the installers can re-stretch and cut the other areas to match them up better and get rid of the glue, that seam will still be against the grain.

Any flooring experts out there with some advice? I don't want to be a b****, but I did pay a lot of money for the carpet, and I need my basement to look good. I didn't go with the cheapest place, I went with a local company that I thought would do a better job. And they do seem to be standing by their work. I'm just not sure what to ask for in this situation.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Comments (2)