SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Lauzon African Sapele - follow up report and reconsideration

kksmama
16 years ago

I still love my floor and it has been perfect, except for the dents that come from living with four active children. Each new dent was painful for the first year or so, then we relaxed and realized the floor didn't really look any less lovely. It just doesn't look "new". The glow and warmth are the best part of our home, and I love the flat, smooth square edge surface. When it is clean and dry, I don't worry about any dirt or water sitting in bevels. The finish and gloss level have been perfect, imo.

Sadly enough, we just had water damage through the wall of the garage from an improperly installed a/c unit. It seeped under the floor, spreading out over a large area. So I'm shopping for floors again, and considering whether I want something else this time. I've noticed Teak (same as cumaru, right?), and one floor guy told me that having had Sapele that would be the only thing to consider, nothing else could compete for beauty. I've also learned that the finish on Lauzon is one that doesn't scratch white - he said that aluminum oxide does scratch white, so I know that if I go with something else it won't have Aluminum oxide because I haven't noticed scratches on this floor and didn't realize the reason. And finally, I've been told that Lauzon has exacting engineering standards, and more green environmental practices, so those are considerations, too.

I've posted this in response to a private email query about my experience, so I'm happy to answer any questions. But since I'm also shopping, again, I'm grateful for any input and suggestions.

Comments (2)