SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lambert_john

DIY Evaporator Coil Replacement?

lambert_john
17 years ago

Last summer, my 10-year old upstairs home AC unit starting blowing hot. It's a split unit, condenser/compressor on the outside, and air handling unit on the inside in a little cubby hole in the attic.

The air conditioning guy came out and told me there's a leak in my evaporator coil. Evidently, in all the turns and bends of the coil, there is a hairline crack somewhere that's allowing the freon to slowly leak out. He went ahead and filled the unit with freon and it worked fine for about 3 months - enough to get me through the summer.

I asked him what he would charge to replace the evaporator coil and he hit me with a $1400 quote. Yow! So my brain started thinking, "How hard would it be to do it myself?" I've never worked on a home AC unit, but have fixed just about everything else in my house myself.

So...my questions are, obviously, is this something I can do myself? If so, do I need any special licenses to do it? Other than the tight location of the current coil, is it as simple as removing the old one and putting the new one in? Is there anything special I need to pay attention to in order to replace the evaporator coil? Is it welded in? Screwed in? Where do I buy the replacement coil at? Lastly, is there a good AC DIY book that I can reference to get me through this project? Thanks for your help everyone! I appreciate it.

Comments (17)