SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

Can you help? Glue on on wide plank pine flooring

User
16 years ago

We are beside ourselves! My husband and I planned to stain and begin applying the finishes on the wide plank pine floors in the new home we're building. These Eastern Pine planks were a big splurge for us. The company where we bought them instructed us not to sand them before staining, as they are milled and shipped prepared to take stain and sanding will compromise the integrity of the old plank look.

To cut to the chase, the people who laid the floor got glue on the top of the boards, which was not evident until we began applying the stain.

My husband lightly sanded down those areas and touched up with more stain. It was pretty clear after a short while that this was resulting in a big mess. More and more glue spots kept showing up and the floor began to look polka-dotted.

Our main living area is an open floor plan. It seems to me we have no choice but to sand the whole floor and began again. And too bad about the authentic aged look.

Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? Time is of the essence in getting these floors done as other subcontractors (painters, plumbers, electricians, etc.) are lined up to complete work on the house.

Any flooring experts who can offer some advice on how to salvage this floor? Thanks so much -

Comments (9)