SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

2nd Wedding Gift Threads?

ttodd
12 years ago

I know there have been threads and I really need to read them so if you have a link to old threads about this touchy situation can you link them?

My ex-SIL is getting married again. Her 1st DH (my DH's brother) cheated and then married the other woman right away. In the divorce settlement he happily gave her everthything. The only thing he took were his personal belongings. He pays the the mortgage (will continue to do so in the event that she remarries). She's been living w/ her boyfriend for a few years who also came w/ a full household of items (he is a widower) so they literally want for nothing but are still somehow in debt up to their eyeballs. They both work FT in the healthcare field.

We just got their wediing invite and it contains a bridal registry. Huh? I have always been a firm believer that shower's and registries are for the FIRST baby and the FIRST marriage because after the FIRST one of whatever, you have everything that you need so you don't go out and solicit guests for more when a SECOND one of whatever comes along.

I'm all for buying a gift but isn't a little pretentious to expect and then tell people where to go and what to get you for a 2nd whatever?

For the record I had decided that I WAS NOT buying something for them off of their registry but would get them a gift at any rate. When I approached DH about it he said that he'd aready offered them a wedding gift but that he never heard back from them about it. He wanted to pay for a persoanl finances/ debt reduction course for them that we took becuuase they are FOREVER asking us for advice on how we've dug ourselves out of debt so quickly.

I say if they don't accept what DH offered then they don't get anything from us at all.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!