SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

Any Experience With Prednisone?

kellyeng
11 years ago

My doctor put me on prednisone (20mg, 5 days) to try to "reset" my allergic response so I can get off of my very expensive allergy meds. I was on the fourth pill when I went in to his office for something unrelated (cholesterol blood draw) and when the nurse took my vitals we found that my blood pressure was through the roof. The doc was called in and he told me to stop taking the prednisone and to come in next week for a follow-up blood pressure check.

That check was this morning, I haven't taken the prednisone for six days and my blood pressure is still elevated. My normal BP is around 124/59 and the latest checks have been right around the last check of 174/87.

My doc says that the prednisone should be out of my system by now, especially for such a short/small dose but that's the only thing that is different that could have my bp elevated. I'm also retaining a bunch of water right now and I'm not exactly eating the healthiest either. However, even at my heaviest weight (140lbs. more than right now) my bp wasn't this high.

What do you think, could the prednisone still be in my system? At this point, he wants me to go down to the drug store every day to check my bp and report back to him in a week, then go from there. I do not want to be put on medication!!

Comments (20)