SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledhead155

Heat Pump Replacement Decision (Tigerdunes, Mike_Home) help

LedHead155
10 years ago

We have a 1994 home with an original York Heat Pump. There is no gas line in the area and the aux heating was the resistance strips. My electric bill this month alone for heating was 450. We had to replace a blower motor last year along with fuses and other minor things. I was originally looking to add supplemental heating, Pellet Furnace, Coal, etc. Since correct install would run around 3k for that I think looking at replacing the heat pump might be a better rout. The heat pump is a 2.5 ton model. Temperatures in my region, Northeast PA were in the -12 for a low the last two weeks with an average temp around 15 for the last three weeks. The house is around 2000 square feet with unfinished basement where air handler is. Ducting main run is fiberboard main with flex duct running from that to all rooms in the house. There are some air leakage issues due to home age that a being repaired periodically. There are plans to finish the basement as well. The local equipment dealers I have to choose from are: Carrier, Trane and Bryant. I spoke to the Trane dealer and he did a neighborhood number of 8500 for the XL unit. We have used them for service before and they are familiar with our setup. What brand is my best bet for my needs as I ma trying to become educated on this in the short term.

Comments (33)