SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pepperidge_farm

Tankless Coil on a Heating Boiler Leaking

pepperidge_farm
15 years ago

We have a Utica oil furnace with a tankless coil, that was installed in 1992, that has a leak near the top of the faceplate.

We have to get someone in to repair it, but the obvious concern is whether or not investing in the repair is worth it, as we do not know what shape the coil will be in once it is pulled out, etc., we have fairly decent well water. If the repair is costly, perhaps repair is short sighted and we should consider replacement as it is 17+ years old?

As it is over the weekend, I was hoping to get some concept of the cost of such a repair. We do love the tankless coil and the endless hot water, it has been working fairly well. I have lived with tankless coils that were a real pain, I think I recall something called "boil a coil" that used to have to be put in.

So, we are in North NJ. Any rough ideas of a range of cost just to begin such a repair? What about a similar replacement (or similar solution for oil)??

Thanks!

ps I do realise there are endless variables here, just looking for a starting point among the endless possibilities!

Comments (17)