SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
human_v09

Newbie question on HVAC systems

human_v09
11 years ago

Hello folks,

We are rebuilding our house and are trying to figure out whether to upgrade the base builder supplied 13 SEER HVAC units to 16 SEER units. This is in the DC-metro (mid-Atlantic area). Unfortunately I'm handicapped by the fact that I know nothing about HVAC systems and getting answers from the builder/HVAC sub is like pulling teeth!

We will have two systems in a 3-level house, the basement is about 1800sf and the main and second levels are both at about 2400sf. We will have two systems - one for the basement and main level and one for the second level.

I don't know what is the brand/model for the base 13 SEER system but I do know that the HVAC sub has sized them at 3 tons each (don't know how, seat of the pants?).

We have been quoted $3600 to upgrade both units to a Carrier Performance 16 SEER system, condensing unit model number 24ACC636 and furnace model 59TP5A080E17.

I've looked at the Carrier website and have looked through the brochures/manuals for these two units and they appear to be reasonably good systems. Above builder grade but not the top of the line Infinity systems. I suspect the price is somewhere in the middle as well, not the highest or lowest but since this is our builder's sub I don't get much of a choice about that.

My questions are:

1) are there any other components that I need to ask about? I read some posts about coils that seemed to indicate that they were separate from the condenser unit. Is that true and do I need to ask about them? I don't know what t-stat controls are included but should I ask for any specific kind to get the best out of these units?

2) Do any of you have any comments specific to these units? In particular, any red flags we should be aware of?

3) Does 3 tons seem appropriate for this climate and the size of space we will be heating and cooling?

We're really lost here and appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

human

Comments (2)