SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tansunny_gw

what do I need before I refinish hardwoods?

tansunny
13 years ago

I live in a small (1100sq ft) ranch built in 1957. We bought this house 5 years ago and there is carpet in the living room, hallway, and all 3 bedrooms. The living room carpet is in rough shape and the bedrooms is tolerable, although I'd like to see it be uniform if I keep the carpet.

There are hardwood floors underneath all of this carpet which I imagine are original to when the house was built. I believe they would be oak. I don't know what condition they are in.I talked to a refinisher on the phone (who was referred to me by a friend...he re-did her hardwoods 15 years ago). He told me that 99% of the time they can be re-finished with no problems even if there are pet stains. He said the only issues they cannot work around are flood or fire damage.

First of all, generally speaking, is this true? He can come out and look at the floors, but we'd have to rip up the carpet first. Also, he gave me a price of $1.50 per sq foot....does that sound about right? He said he sands, will use a filler, and then he uses a commercial grade finish.

The floors now appear to kind of have a honey hue to them which I'm not very fond of. How many options are there for staining? I am not sure what I am looking for, I just don't like the yellowish tone.

Finally, there is a small halfwall that divides the hallway from the living room. I think it would make the room look larger to remove this wall, but it has a cold air return in it. I would need to see if the duct work could be re-routed and we have a finished basement, so it may not be easy. And with that, since the wall is original to the house, I'm not sure if it would be easy to add additional floor boards.

I am trying to anticipate all of the issues that may come up and our options. At this time, I'd like to rip-up the carpet in the living room/dining room (all one room) and hallway. I'll either have it re-finished or get new carpet. I am thinking the hardwoods would be better for allergies, plus we have a dog and someday kids. But I grew up with carpet all of my life and so did DH, so I am not opposed to that.

I can post pictures of the layout later if you would like to give your opinions on the wall.

Comments (3)