SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingflower

Borders bites the dust

flyingflower
12 years ago

Heard on the radio yesterday Borders wasn't able to find a buyer so it looks like they'll be closing the rest of their stores.

What I don't understand is how come Borders is going under while Barnes & Noble stays afloat? Borders was the one who gave the discount coupons...30%, 40%...off the price of anything in the store. All you had to do was sign up for their free card and these great coupons came to you in email weekly. I bought so many books, dvds, giftwrap,etc with these discounts. Meanwhile B&N gave me nothing so I never shopped there. You have to pay them an annual fee ($25?) in order to get any discounts. Why should I do that when I can go to Borders and pay essentially what it would cost me on Amazon? No one can beat Amazon's prices but Borders came really close with their coupons.

How is it that B&N stays in business selling their merchandise for FULL retail whilet their competitor dies on the vine? I would never pay full price for a hardcover book, not with Amazon willing to sell it to me for 33%-50% off.

We've lost so many book stores, it's down to B&N now. What happens if they go under too? I don't like buying a book online sight unseen. I'll end up wasting money in the long run when the book arrives and I hate it. Made that mistake a couple of times already. Maybe this will bring back the Mom & Pop shops. Like in the movie "You've Got Mail"...wasn't it was the big evil retail chain book store that we all boo'd?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH