SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweet_home_gw

Spray Foam insulation: open cell spf vs closed cell spf

sweet_home
12 years ago

Our house has a ventilated crawl space, and the floor(we have hardwood floors and no carpet)feels cold around the year and more so in winter. We live in the San Francisco Bay area to give an idea of the climatic condition. After doing energy audit and after talking to a couple of insulation companies, we feel that doing a spray foam (SPF) insulation barrier under the floor in the crawl space area will provide us enhanced living comfort and some savings in our energy bill. When we looked into the available options there seems to be 2 choices. ie open cell SPF ( ocSPF) and closed cell SPF ( ccSPF). There seems to be pros and cons to both choices. We would like understand the negative/positive implications of the installation of one over the other. Any thing specific along the below lines will be of help too.

- odor due to off-gassing during and after installation. I have a child who has allergies and I get affected when I am exposed to any chemical smell.

- how would any unintentional water leak/spill inside the house dry up.

- future access to crawl space for repairs to plumbing / air duct.

I searched the forum, but did not find any discussion on this topic, so thought I'll post it to get feedback from the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Thanks a lot!

Comments (3)