SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Cleaning/refinishing oak treads - please help

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I have wanted to refinish my oak stair treads originally finished with Tried and True wood finish (BLO and beeswax) 2 years ago. It's not holding up to traffic (event though we don't wear shoes in the house - wax and wet/sweaty/oily feet don't mix).

Now I *really* have to refinish them - DS threw up on them last night. I cleaned up the vomit (mostly on 1 tread) with dry, then wet paper towels, and the grain is raised.

1. How do I disinfect the tread(s)?

2. The risers, skirtboard and trim are all poly'd, they are OK. I want to refinish the treads with something more durable (either poly or Waterlox), can anybody recommend something that wouldn't take too long to dry since we are living in the house and it's hard to keep people off the stairs for more than 8 hrs max (that's if I have prepped the night b4, put 1st coat on as soon as the kids leave for school, and don't let DD upstairs until DS gets home from school).

3. How do I prep to make sure I've got all the BLO/wax off so the new finish will stick? Or do I just use dewaxed shellac to seal it, then poly over it (have had success with non-floor surfaces doing this, but not over wax either, just using shellac as a sanding sealer).

Thanks

Comment