SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demicent

Family Treasures - What to do?

demicent
17 years ago

I know quite a few of you out there are probably the "Keepers of the Family Treasures."

In my case I'm talking about the inherited furniture pieces that I took home when my grandma moved into my parents' house and eventually a nursing home.

Her landlord died and in a matter of days his family sold the house to be knocked over for a parking lot. Everyone swooped in and went through my grandma's things, taking whatever appealed to them, and leaving the rest in a heap to be run over by the bulldozers.

I was 21 years old at the time and my husband and I had just built our first home. It was empty of furnishings. I took some of my Grandma's huge heavy antique pieces that everone else in the family considered more of a millstone than a gift. I couldn't bear to see the pain in her eyes at the thought of trashing these pieces with so much history to them.

She told me "My dear, I feel like a small bird clinging to a twig while the wind blows."

One thing that came home with me that day was an antique oak bookcase/secretary with two curved glass doors, a drop down desk and a mirror.

I remember my grandma used to keep crepe paper and pipecleaners in the drawers, and she let me make paper flowers. My grandpa used to sit in front of it and play cards with me when I was little. He cheated outrageously. At some point my grandpa had fallen off his rocker, and the glass is busted in one corner.

So fast forward 30 years. This very heavy piece of furniture has been sitting in my dining room all these years. On the shelves are old decorative pieces given to me by other members of the family. The shelves are lined with little linens with hand made crochet or lace that grandma made.

Now here's the what to do part.

We are finally going ahead with our kitchen remodel. The wall behind this furniture piece is going to be knocked out. I don't really want to move this huge heavy thing elsewhere. No one else in our family wants it.

And yet I feel like a bad person somehow for wanting to find it a new home. Is this a common feeling? As I grow older I find I want to divest myself of "things" and just live a lighter, cleaner life.

Why do I feel like I'm thinking about selling one of the children? :)

Oooooh hey! I just looked at the picture and it looks like my dog's Buster Cube is under there. I wondered where that thing went.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (17)