SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Should I just close the doors on the cold and forget about it?

alison
14 years ago

This summer I bought a 110 year old brick three story house. The previous owner had done a lot of remodeling, including all new, double pane thermal windows in all the rooms.

As we've gone thru a prolonged cold spell I have noticed some of the rooms are insanely cold, though. There's something wrong with the vents to the third floor -- I'll address that when I get the central air installed in the spring.

I'm wondering what to do with two other rooms now; a butler's pantry off the kitchen with one small window and no vent. And a second floor sun porch with windows all around and two skylights. Also no heat vent, and both are on the north side of the house.

I did an incense check; light a stick of incense and check and the windows and wwalls for obvious drafts. Nothing noticable, just cold emanating from the walls.

I've been keeping the doors closed and notice a big improvement in the rest of the house. A min/max thermometer shows the temps in those rooms range from 34 to 47 degrees.

I know it's too much to expect a north facing room made of windows to be warm in a central Ohio winter, but is there anything I can do to keep these rooms warmer? [I thought about getting a baseboard heater for the sunporch, but am reluctant to spend money on the electricity.] Or is it smarter to just keep the doors tto those rooms shut and figure my house (like so much in nature!) simply shrinks in the winter? It's a big house -- that's not such a hardship!

Comments (4)