SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

so, knives arent ovenproof?

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

I had to share this with you since I know some of you have done similar things. I thought this was something that other people did, but not me.... I was wrong!

I had a busy week with getting new furniture had having a shelf made for the vacuum cleaners and getting rid of a lot of old stuff. I didn't have much time for cleaning or cooking, so in a hurry I threw some dishes in the oven to hide them. After things had settled down, I decided to make some chicken wings. I took the dishes out of the oven and threw them in the dishwasher that I'd finally gotten around to emptying. Then I put the chicken wings in a glass baking pan, popped it in the oven and put the oven on 375. I left it to bake.... I noticed some cob webs on the ceiling that I'd never seen before (new lamps show everything.... I'm switching back the old dim ones that hide stuff!).... so I got the broom out while I was waiting for the chicken wings.... swept the ceiling and then smelled a weird smell that smelled like burning paper. I didn't think much of it since it had been a while since I used the oven. I kept cleaning the ceiling until the smell got stronger. Then I opened the oven to look closely and found to my horror that I'd forgotten a plastic handled steak knife in there and it was now melting... plastic was just dripping from the oven rack and the knife was fused to the oven rack.... Oh it was a mess! I had to throw the chicken wings out because I thought fumes from the plastic might have gotten into them. I cleaned the mess up, but the knife is ruined and I use the steak knifes more than any other knife in the butcher block. I hate having one missing.... I e-mailed Farberware and they told me that the red knives are discontinued, so I guess it's time to shop for better knives with metal handles. I was still hungry and mad about the chicken wings so I microwaved a plate of leftover chicken alfredo and poured a glass of almond milk. I set it down by the recliner and selected an episode of Keeping Up Appearances to watch on Netflix ready to relax. The phone rang. I answered it.... I came back to watch in horror as dust and "popcorn" from ceiling I'd just cleaned fell down into my food and milk... had to throw that all away too. I was so mad last night I went to bed without eating.... grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast. Grrrrrr

Here's what's left of the knife..... I haven't even had this set a year yet, so the thought of buying a new one drives me crazy! You can tell which side was down from the picture... The paper shreddings on the floor are leftover from me having made a Youtube vacuum video earlier in the day in case you were curious.

Anyone else melted anything fun lately?

Comments (11)