SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winnetkajak

Advice on HVAC renovation

WinnetkaJAK
11 years ago

We are doing a pretty major renovation on a 1929 house which has original cast iron hot water heat and some later baseboards, fueled by a gas boiler that was replaced about 5 years ago. The contractor is advocating that we take out the current heating system and install gas forced air throughout the house.

I have read here and elsewhere that hot water is an attractive heating system and I personally like the hot water heat. I have lived in houses with GFA and cold winters and have not liked it as much, however the technology has perhaps been improved since then.

Current cooling is via a whole house fan and window units.

We are in the Chicago area so both heat and a/c are needed in the house.

I have come up with three potential plans to move forward on the HVAC:

1. Install GFA throughout the house. This would give us more room as we'd lose the radiators and baseboards but would need to have ducting installed.
2. Keep current hot water heating and install spacepak (or equivalent) for a/c. This keeps the even hot water heat but requires installation. The contractor says he thinks the cost for GFA will be about the same as that for spacepak. Not sure if I believe that yet.
3. Keep most of current hot water heating and install a ductless mini-split system for some of the renovated rooms that need a/c and heat; continue to use hot water, fan, and window units for less-occupied rooms.

Are there other options not listed here? I admit that my preference is to keep the current heating but it will be an uphill battle to convince everyone if there's no cost or performance advantage vs. GFA. Thanks!

Comments (12)