SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibjammin_gw

Help with Heat Pump Question.

ibjammin
10 years ago

A question to all HVAC techies out there. I live in southern Mississippi and think my heat pump is not working properly. We just had a weather system that came through and dropped temperatures down to about 10 degrees for a couple of days but last night the temperature only drop to the low 30's. The one thing I noticed is that when I woke up around 2:00 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep is that the outside unit would run for about 30 minutes then cutoff for about 5 minutes and then cut back on for around 30 minutes and kept doing that the whole time. I have a vent in my bedroom that sort of blows at the bed and noticed that it felt like cool air blowing on me so I got up and when around to several vents in the house and they all had cool air coming out of them. I have the thermostat set to 63 at night time in the winter so the next time the unit came on I got up to check the themostat to see what it showed for the inside air and it was 63. I think the unit is set to come on only when the ambient air in the house drops 2 degrees below the set point temperature. So my heat pump runs even though the inside air temp. is the same as the set temp. I do not know if this has something to do with it but last year my wife got up one morning and noticed water dripping on the floor from the ceiling. I went up in the attic and found that the water was coming out the front of my Aprilaire filter housing. I called the repairman out to look at it and said he found that the freon was low and that my coil had a hole in it or something. He put freon in the system and it has not happened again. I was wondering if this was a sign that the freon was low again. My unit is a Trane XR15 with a VS air handler - 4TEE3F65B1 and I have a HW Vision Pro IAQ thermostat if that helps. Please let me know if this normal or do I need to call the repairman out again.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor