SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thull_gw

Vision Pro, dual fuel, and aux switchover

thull
14 years ago

I've offered a lot of VP programming advice to folks over the past couple of years. Now I have a question about how my own system is behaving.

We have a Rheem/Ruud HP with 80% gas furnace backup. It's run by a Honeywell Vision Pro (8321, IIRC) with an outdoor sensor and set to switch over at 30F. We've had a week solid of The stat is set to setback the temp from 69F to 62F during the day on weekdays and Intelligent Recovery is enabled. There are 2 things I've noticed and I'm wondering about:

First, yesterday with a high of 38F and dropping off after it got dark, the HP ran almost continuously and took probably 4-5 hours to get the temperature up to 67F. I'm wondering, if it's running that long without getting to the setpoint, why it doesn't kick on the Aux heat to get there? (FYI, it's set to 'standard' heating, as opposed to more aggressive). Also, FWIW, register temp was 78F dropping to 74F as the outdoor temp dropped from 38F to 30F.

The other thing that I noticed last weekend (no daytime setback) was that it didn't switch back over to the HP when the temp got above 30F.

I don't know if this complicates things, but I did make one change yesterday after scratching my head again on the stat's settings. The furnace has a variable-speed fan and, IIRC, low and high fire on the burner. I believe it runs strictly off of the control board in the furnace- the furnace runs at low speed and low fire and then kicks into high speed and high fire if the call to run from the stat doesn't go away after a certain time. Don't think the stat has any influence on how this works other than on-off.

The stat had been set as 3H/2C by the installer, but there isn't a 2nd compressor stage (Y2 terminal isn't even wired). I changed it to 2H/1C yesterday. The other thing I noticed is that, I thought the stat would show "Aux" somewhere when auxiliary heat is called, but it doesn't.

Any ideas on why the switch from HP to gas and back doesn't seem to be happening when I think it should? And why the stat doesn't show "Aux" when the gas is running? Cheers.

Comments (2)