SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gas_prices_suck

Switching from LP to dual fuel...help!

gas_prices_suck
15 years ago

Hi, This is Mike from Indiana, and I'm sick of getting gouged by high LP prices. I'm definitely switching from my straight LP system and going with a dual fuel system. I'm in Indiana and it gets pretty cold, or I would completely convert to a heat pump.

My sq. footage is around 2950. I have two systems(main floor and upstairs). I built our home in 2005, so all of the ductwork etc. is modern. I thought that I was getting a top of the line/efficient system, but paying way too much for propane is not efficient at all. It makes me sick when the LP truck backs up in the driveway.

Here's what I have:

MAIN FLOOR - 410A - Trane XV90 furnace(TDY080R9V3W4), XL14i AC(4TTX4030A100AB), coil(TXC031C4HPCO), Honeywell VisionPro stat

SECOND FLOOR - 410A - Trane 80% furnace, XL14i AC(4TTX4024A1000AA), Honeywell VisionPro stat

I'm not really concerned about the upstairs LP furnace, because the house is open and the main floor system does the heating workload. I think that my best money spent would be to replace the main floor XL14i AC with an XL15i heatpump. I would still want to keep the LP for when it gets below freezing, thus the dual fuel concept.

I would like to stay with Trane, if for no other reason than that a different brand heat pump would look wierd sitting next to the other AC unit. The Trane XL15i looks identical to the XL14i AC unit.

I have two estimates. One is from the original installer for a Trane XL14i heat pump. It's for $3600 and is basically a swap out of the AC unit for the heat pump.

The second opinion is from another Trane dealer. This quote is $5600 and is for a Trane XL15i heat pump AND a NEW COIL. Yeah...a new coil. This dealer said that I have the wrong coil for my system. It is supposedly 410A and all, but it is only rated for 10 SEER. Now that has got me a little upset if I have an underperforming coil matched to my XV90 and XL14i system. The model #s are above if anyone can make since of it. The second opinion dealer said the the coil that I need is 5.5 inches taller. Was this coil available in '05? Has the original installer goofed up and installed the wrong coil? If they've made a mistake, I've been getting 10 SEER from my 14 SEER system for the past three years. I could see where thay may have goofed up because the crawl space ductwork had many leaks before I used three rolls of sealent tape on it.

I've contacted Trane via their "ask a question" link, but I have gotten 3 incoherent replies from a rookie that knows less than me...or maybe he doesn't want to give the goods on the original installer. Hopefully, I can get some straight honest opinions here. ...any Trane guys out there?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (4)