SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Do you have a favorite soup recipe?

msrose
12 years ago

Now that I'm divorced and I can cook/eat what I want, I find myself eating alot of soup. I don't know what it is about soup that I love so much, but I do and I'd love to find some more good recipes. I'll start with my two main recipes.

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes

1 can (16 oz) pumpkin puree

1/2 cup red onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 T olive oil

4 cups vegetable broth

1 T ground cumin

1 t eacher koser salt, cinnamon, allspice

1/2 t ground pepper

3 T balsamic vinegar

Baked pumpkin seeds, for garnish

1. Place oil, red onion, garlic and seasonings into a large pot.

2. Cook on low-medium heat unti red onion and garlic brown.

3. Puree the beans and tomatoes with half of the vegetable broth. Add pureed ingredients, pumpkin and rest of broth to your pot.

4. Simmer uncovered until thick, about 40-45 minutes. Before serving, stir in balsamic vinegar. Garnish with baked pumpkin seeds.

Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup

3 medium carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise

2 large tomatoes, quartered

1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges

1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut lengthwise in 1/2 inch thick wedges

6 whole cloves garlic

1 T olive oil

6 cups or more of vegetable broth

4 cups finely chopped kale

3 large springs of fresh thyme

1 bay leaf

1 can (15 oz) great northern beans

Preheat over to 400. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Arrange carrots, squash, tomatoes, onion and garlic on the sheet. Drizzle with more olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast the vegetables until they are browned and tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.

Cut squash and carrots into 1/2 inche pieces; set aside. Peel garlic and place in a food processor with tomatoes and onion. Puree until almost smooth. Pour 1/2 cut vegetable broth onto baking sheet and scrape up any browned bits. Transfer both the broth and the puree to a larget pot. Add 5 1/2 cups broth, kale, thyme, and bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered until the kale is tender, about 30 minutes.

Add the carrots, squash and beans to the soup. Simmer another few minutes to blend flavors, adding more broth to thin soup, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Discard thyme springs and bay leaf.

Comments (7)