SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

What 'Non-Girl' or 'Non-Guy' Lesson were you taught?

ttodd
14 years ago

Yesterday while watching DH struggle w/ getting my tire off to change it I began wondering "What practical lessons should I make sure that DD is taught when headed out into the world on her own?".

If you're a woman poster here I'd love to hear what 'Non-Girl' lesson you were taught and if you're a man posting here I'd love to know what 'Non-Guy' lesson you were taught.

Mine:

1.) One time as a teenager I had a flat tire in a place that I was unfamiliar w/. I found a garage and the really nice mechanic changed it for me for free and gave me this practical tip "As a young woman when you have your tires changed at a garage make sure that the person doing it puts the lug nuts back on manually. When they use the (whatever air-thingie tool thing is) to put them back on they get on so tight that sometimes it's hard even for a man to get off. I'm not saying women are weak but if you're stuck somewhere w/ a flat you can be sure that you will be able to get it off and not be stranded."

2.) When I moved out on my own for the 1st time my dad came to my house and gave me an electric drill and screwdriver for a house warming present. He showed me how to use it, find studs, locate rafters and determine from the outside how far apart the rafters may be if I wanted to hang something from the ceiling. Even though I've upgraded I still treasure my first electric drill.

3.) At an old job a guy that I worked w/ showed me how to jump start a car and change a car battery.

4.) While dating DH taught me how to change my car oil and not look like an idiot when I went to buy parts at whatever auto place I went to. He has also bought me a car repair book/ manual for every make and model car that I've ever owned when I got it.

Comments (16)