SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigect

what possesses someone to steal very personal items?

paigect
17 years ago

Any psychologists in our midst? Just wondering why someone would steal items of a highly personal nature, which are not of any monetary value but do have significant personal value to others (not to the thief). I'm talking about things like a childhood book enscribed by a person's deceased mother, whom the thief did not even know, and an inexpensive ring passed on by someone's family member to whom the thief was not related. Some of these things had great meaning to their owners, and they simply disappeared, to be discovered hidden in the home of the thief upon her death.

The childhood book was actually shown to others before she died, with no sense of remorse or guilt that she had taken it, but rather a sense of "one-upmanship" over the person to whom it belonged.

I'm trying to make sense of this. I've searched all around on the internet and I guess I'm not using the correct search terms because I'm not finding anything. This behavior does not fit the definition of kleptomania, because she didn't steal things that were useless to her, per se. She stole things that were meaningful to other people. Any thoughts?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!