SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primerib_gw

How to tap drain pipe for condensate discharge ?

primerib
14 years ago

I live in the South and have an HVAC in my basement with a built in humidifier for the forced air heat. The condensate from the a/c and the runoff from the humidifier join together and drain into a little giant pump, with the condensate discharge line running with the Freon pipe up 8 feet to the basement ceiling and then 20 feet horizontally where it exits the house near the a/c condenser/compressor unit. This is the first year that the condensate line froze outside, causing the little giant to fill and tripping the safety switch cutting off my furnace. I turned off the humidifier and emptied the little giant and the furnace is back up now.

To avoid this issue in the future, I would like to run the condensate line from the little giant pump directly into a drain pipe on the ceiling of my basement. There is a utility sink on the floor above the basement. The drain pipe for the utility sink goes straight down into the basement with the s-trap visible near the basement ceiling, and then it connects into other drain pipes on the basement ceiling.

Is it safe to tap the condensate line directly into the utility sink drain pipe, and if so, should I tap (a) the side of the drain pipe before the s-trap, or (b) the top of the drain pipe after the s-trap? I plan to tap the drain with a 3/8" back check valve which is the diameter of the condensate line. The house is 11 years old and I bought it used 5 years ago so going back to original installer for free fix does not appear to be an option. Any other suggestions? I appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment (1)