SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tad731

Help: wood is cupped is it installer problem?

tad731
12 years ago

I am having an issue with my 4" Somerset maple floor and am looking for any advice on where to proceed from here. Long story short, the flooring is cupping pretty badly, splitting in some areas. In an effort to rectify the problem, we have installed a dehumidifier and fans in the crawl space. Our home is new construction and there was probably quite a bit of moisture under there since much of the water drained under the house prior to the installation of the gutters. Indeed, it remains wet in one corner of the house, about 10 feet from the subfloor (it is a tall crawl space). Anyway, the humidity has been around 60% for a month now and the floors are no better. We had a rep from the distributor come to our house yesterday and he said that the subfloor is at 14% moisture. So, we know the crawl space is humid and are working to fix it. Here's the question. This floor was installed in June '11. It probably was wet under there at the time of installation and although the contractor had spread some plastic but not 100% of the area was covered. Here is the kicker...there was not vapor barrier put under the hardwood floor and the installer admits that he did not take any moisture readings at the time of installation. We think our floors might not be in such a shape had the installation been done properly. I don't want to take somebody to court because I certainly hope that we can take care of it by other means. However, I'm afraid that I will at least have to threaten court for them to do something. Opinions? Experiences with this? I'm thinking that without a vapor barrier, we will always have issues with the floor cupping (even if it goes down this winter) simply because I live in Kentucky and the summers are very humid.

Comments (9)