SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_short1913316

Using reclaimed Douglas Fir flooring

Amy Short-Jones
15 years ago

My husband and I recently purchased a newer home that is unfortunately completely devoid of character so I'm trying to work some in when I get the chance. The off-white carpeting in our living room needs to go and I would prefer hardwood. I love the idea of reusing things whenever possible and I think that using reclaimed wood would be a way to add some character to our vanilla house. I found a local guy who has quarter sawn Douglas Fir that is, according to him, pretty clean... I plan to see for myself on Friday.

Our previous house had oak and maple floors throughout that we refinished and I loved them. I am pretty unfamiliar with Douglas Fir and I'm wondering what kind of options are available for staining it or if just sealing it is the way to go. I haven't found many pictures online and most of what I have found seems to be very orange which is not high on my favorites list! Our living room has triple floor to ceiling windows facing east and west so the room gets a lot of sunshine early and late in the day. I have read that the color will darken with exposure to sunlight but I'm wondering how dark does it become and does it stay orangey?

I really love the idea of these floors, I'm just wondering if I might end up loving the idea more than the finished product. If anyone has any ideas where I might be able to see more finished rooms with these floors I would be very interested to see them!

Comments (5)