SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenthenze

leveling the edges of a subfloor

brenthenze
16 years ago

Hi all!

Can floor leveling compound be used along the edges of a subfloor, where the floor meets the wall? (And how thick can it be?)

I'm installing 3/8" engineered bamboo flooring in a renovated kitchen. I've already installed my subfloor and underlayment, and the field is pretty level and flat. I've done a similar installation before, so I'm comfortable with the main part of the floor.

But, at the EDGES of the subfloor, I have a bit more of a problem. This renovation involved cutting out the entire floor deck as close to the walls as possible (right up against the rim joists). Then, I installed new joists against the rim. (This was all to solve some structural problems--sinking piers and so forth.) The problem is that now I have a nice, flat, level subfloor right up to about 1" away from the walls, but that last little 1" around the entire room is a wavy 1/4" below the level of the subfloor. That rim is well supported (I've installed bracing all the way around), but it's too close to the wall to trim out, and I think it's too wide NOT to fill (particularly at the doorways).

What I'd like to do, I guess, is build up the 1" gap around the rim of the floor with leveling compound. But I don't know if the leveling compound can be applied at the edges or only in the field. Plus, it'll be filling a fairly big gap.

I'd planned to glue down the flooring because this is a kitchen. Any danger of the leveling compound coming up from the gaps if the flooring is glued down to it?

Sorry for the rambling explanation here, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH