SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chihuahua6

Top stair tred level with subfloor? Professionals please respond

chihuahua6
14 years ago

I am having a home built and the stairs that were ordered are not correct in my opinion. The stairs are oak (paid for that) and the top strip of tread is sitting flush with the subfloor. This seems wrong. In my other houses the top tread was raised so wood floors could be butted up against it and be flush. Also a carpet and pad would be just about flush as well. They want to wrap this top tread with carpet even though the rest of the stairs will be wood.

They're saying they order 2 different stairs, one for wood upstairs and one for a rug upstairs! That sounds rediculous to me. I said that I cannot add wood floors in the future because it would create a tripping hazard as well as being unsightly. They suggested I put a reducer at the top tread. I believe that would not pass code and create a tripping hazard, plus it will look bad.

I told them that on their own site they have a picture of how the floors should look and they told me that the reason that's the way it is, is because they used metal balisters on that house, not wood. Huh?

Please let me know if I am correct that the top tread should be elevated. Is it always done this way, most of the time, hardly or only my 3 homes that I have owned?

Thanks very much.

Amanda

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21