SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

What are your Guilty Pleasures?

Oakley
13 years ago

Everybody has them, so come clean and don't be embarrassed. :)

I thought of this topic while thinking about one of my favorite TV shows and this is the last season.

Drumroll.......

THE HILLS

Comments (47)

• golddust
    13 years ago

It's cheese. I love it. Jarlsburg is my downfall.

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

I used to watch THE HILLS, now I watch ALL versions of The Real Housewives.

As far as food-my DS and I LOVE Chocolate Covered Strawberries! We will buy a quart of strawberries and the chocolate you put in the microwave to melt, DS dips them and we eat them all in one day! I limit it to about once a month though, since we CANNOT control ourselves.

• Related Discussions

What's Your Guilty 'Unplanned' Pleasure?

Q

Comments (8)
    I love to poke around in the gardens in the Spring and see what seedlings are coming up, and there are usually lots of reseeders. Some plants make a few seedlings, some literally make hundreds. Agastache, Cleome, Catnip, Pokeberry, Rudbeckia, the Black Cherry tree, etc. make so many seedlings I have to weed most of them out. Cleome grows bigger and fuller if you give it some space anyway (and pinch). Some plants reseed moderately and make nice fillers like Dill, Cilantro, and Verbena bonariensis. The California poppies and Alyssum self-sow thickly but then end up filling in nicely along the garden edges. I have to remove a lot of Pokeberry from the neighbor's ginormous Pokeberry hedge makes hundreds of seedlings and they seem to grow huge in one season. I am merciless about eradicating the non-native invasive plants that are growing in the yard like Norway maple, Oriental bittersweet, and Buckthorn, etc. If your Bittersweet is the Oriental type, that is one you should definitely pull. It is a horrible invasive in the northeast, and the vines are so aggressive they can strangle and topple large trees, which has actually killed people in their cars on the Saw Mill Parkway in NY. Here is a link that might be useful: After Tree Kills Couple, A Search For Answers
    ...See More

Modern Hybrid Teas

Q

Comments (92)
    Someone posted a picture of San Jose Rose Garden ... the roses are tall and planted really close together like a forest. In contrast, the rose park in zone 5a plant their roses widely spaced apart, for ventilation due to blackspot pressure, and for maximum sun-exposure during low-sun fall and winter season. What Kim said about the difference between hot and cold climate is right. We have 4 seasons here: sunny and wet spring, sunny and hot summer, gloomy and wet fall, and cold winter. My husband set the blade to cut grass higher, so that the grass is taller in spring and summer to shield the roots from drying out. My neighbor butchered his grass really short, and it looks really bad scorched at above 90's. In our less sun fall, he lowers the blade, so the grass is cut shorter to allow more sun to penetrate, so we would have less mushroom growing on the lawn in our damp fall.
    ...See More

Your Guilty (TV) Pleasure

Q

Comments (24)
    I am a true fan of The Walking Dead. I even went to the place where they film it last weekend, about forty five minutes from Atlanta. Not to catch a peek at the zombies, but to push my product. It's a little historical village where they are bringing in old houses and fixing them up. They even have built brownstones and industrial lofts for a million bucks a pop. I love love love the housewifes of Beverly Hills and New York and even the goofy girls of Atlanta. .....Jane
    ...See More

Guilty pleasures: flavored M&Ms

Q

Comments (26)
    Have you ever had to ask family members "Please tell me you've had some of these?" while holding a near empty container of (fill in the blank). Yes, Annie, I've done that with TJ's triple gingersnaps and just recently I finished off a container of TJs vanilla wafers in about (stretching) 3 days HA! No kidding, five at a time like popcorn --can't have them in the house. Sushipup, I'm trying really hard to not read the M & M comments, in particular:) confessing that I regularly polish off the everyday old M & Ms that are denoted "share size" with never a thought of my fellow (wo)men:) CathyinSWPA
    ...See More
  • sable_ca
    13 years ago

I don't feel guilty about any of my pleasures, lol!

The only food that I absolutely cannot resist are Wheat Thins. It is not allowed in our house because I will finish a box in 2-3 sittings.

Okay, here's one. On Friday nights I watch TLC for Say Yes to the Dress. I watch it for several hours, all those re-runs, while I read. Don't know why I like it; I don't watch other reality shows. But watching those domineering mothers is just fascinating. Or the bride who brought her fiance with her because "I can't make a decision without him." That should be an interesting marriage.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

This one has started recently. I have mentioned dh and I like to play Aerobie (long distance Frisbee). Now that we are opening a business our Aerobie time has been non existent. Until now.... The building we are in has a huge empty space next door to us. I jokingly mentioned to one of the construction people it would be a great place to throw the disc. He left the door to this big space rigged for us and we sneak in after work and play. There are huge windows facing the sidewalk and we freeze when people walk by. I'm not sure how the shopping center would feel if they knew.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deedee, that sounds like fun though! I've never heard of Aerobie.

I've been wanting to watch The Real Housewives of New Jersey to see what all the hoopla is about.

BUT...my other guilty pleasure starts next month. BIG BROTHER. Yahoo!!!! lol.

And Golddust, you're not getting off that easy on eating cheese. You need to name something better than that. hee.

• User
    13 years ago

I love what is now considered "old school" video games for Nintendo and Super Nintendo. Mario 3 is my favorite. Don't get me wrong, we went outside to play as kids and were limited to video games! My sister won a Wii at her Christmas work party and they went out and bought Mario for it. Very similar to Mario 3. You can play with up to four people and it's so much fun. Everyone has to work together because you're on the same screen. DH isn't wild about anything that's not sports game (because he's not good at the other games. Shhh!! ;) ) so it's usually just me, my sister and BIL that play.

Some more video game favs of mine are: Nintendo - Link (Zelda), there was a really cool game with Scrooge the duck. Super Nintendo - all the Donkey Kongs, Mario's and Mario Kart (loved all of kart but the battle modes were always hysterical), The Lion King, Aladdin, (yeah, you're reading these right). Nintendo 64 - Mario Kart and Gex.

We rarely ever play anymore except for the occasional Mario Wii but I remember having so much fun. My Grammy and Pap like the Wii sports games so I'll do that with them on occasion.

Quite a few years back I used to watch the bachelor/bachelorette. A bunch of us would actually get together for it! It got to the point where it was on too late and I got tired of it.

• User
    13 years ago

I forgot Yoshi's Island and Kirby! Ok, I'm done now. :)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

And I forgot any Housewives show, Real or Desperate. And gory crime novels.
    sable and golddust, you need to get together for cheese and crackers!

• natal
    13 years ago

Olliesmom, what a great idea! I used that chocolate at Christmas to make truffles with sea salt, but I love the idea to use it to dip fruit!

My guilty pleasure just started a couple weeks ago ... Bethenny Getting Married. SheÂs a hoot! I think I saw maybe 2 episodes of HofNY a couple years ago. The group was a bit much to stomach, but I loved Bethenny.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

My biggest, at the moment, is probably being out in my walled garden. I tell myself that I'm just going to sit and read or putter with my plants for 30 minutes or an hour . . . and three hours later, I'm still out there! The housework has gone to the dogs lately because of this; I feel guilty . . . but apparently, not enough to curb myself yet.
    I've never been one for soaps or reality tv, but TV-wise, it would have to be any Divine Design show. Even if I've seen that particular episode before, I can NOT tear myself away from watching it! Candice Olsen is pure genius when it comes to interior design.
    Food-wise: I've recently discovered a much-loved food from my childhood, "Win Schuler's Original Cheese Spread". Win Shulers is a very famous and beloved restaurant in Michigan and now my local grocery store is stocking this cheese. If I allowed myself to, I could easily eat an entire tub of it in one sitting. I don't, but it calls my name much too frequently . . . like right now, thanks to this darn thread ;^D
    Lynn

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Eating Maruchan Chili and Lime instant noodles and watching Angel on my iPad. Both are embarrassing to confess (my husband's a chef, and Angel's a hunky vampire--best/worst of food and art.)

• golddust
    13 years ago

OK, if I have to confess to a TV show, it's 'Little People Big World'. I love Amy.

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

natal, I have been watching "Bethenny Getting Married" also. I like her, and you are right, she is a hoot! I record all these shows and watch them after DH and DS are in bed.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I only watch educational documentaries. I'm lying of course......

ok then, I'll admit to watching Bethenny also.

I stopped watching H of NY, mostly because of Ramona , and the countess, and then later Jill, way too artificial, but without substance. I can be entertained with "artificial" just for fun, but after I saw the episode with the housewives on a boat, the trip being courtesy of Ramona, I stopped .

My guilty pleasures are the tv shows I watch when DH is away, be it the Cake Boss, Say Yes to the Dress, Rich Bride Poor Bride, the last 10 pounds bootcamp, Will and Grace reruns, and so on and so forth.

I tivo a bunch of them and then mindlessly sit there with the remote.

Guilty pleasure would also be sweets. I am constantly negotiating with myself, " no mitchdesj, do not buy that cupcake" . I live downtown and am always stumbling on exquisite shops that sell extraordinarily good stuff.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I love to hit the snooze button- my favorite part of sleeping is falling asleep, so I hit the snooze button at least once a morning and have been known to do it more.

• hhireno
    13 years ago

I opened this post & immediately went to the last posting. I guess I noticed the heading of the another post about strange things happening and that's the post I thought I was reading.

Then I read that CB hits the snooze button and I thought "what's so strange about that?". Now if a ghost was hitting it for her, okay then, that's a bit strange.

I guess my pleasure is to cruise the GW, mix up the titles, read the posts, and be confused about the discussions. Try it. It adds a whole other dimension to things.

My guilty pleasure is to sit outside and read for hours when I know there is other stuff I should be doing. My food guilty pleasure is to always pack a PayDay bar when I travel just in case I need a snack. Peanuts, caramel, salt - what's not to like? The real guilt is eating it once I get back home since I didn't really need it during the trip.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynne, this is YOUR fault. I did a search on the cheese spread and found a great gourmet website that sells it, along with other nice goodies. I've already ordered the cheese and a rasberry dessert!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yummy!

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Guilty Pleasure TV Shows..

Tori & Dean
    NJ Housewives - hub hates it
    Bethenny Getting Married
    Say Yes to the dress & the other dress show though it will ever be SYTTD
    Raising sextuplets
    Watch various multiple specials; like things like conjoined twins
    Little People Big World but it's not one of my regulars
    Kendra every now & then, not a favorite
    Kardashians

Yeah, I watch a lot of reality shows.. TV these days stinks.

Nutter Butter cookies

Facebook - I never used to use it but am finding myself addicted lately.

ebay!

• yborgal
    13 years ago

I have discovered that pecans drizzled with sweetened condensed milk is a heavenly treat. Rich, but oh my!

And I think I'm in love with Johnny Zacharra on General Hospital. I don't care if I'm old enough to be his grandmother; the kid is hot!! (I'm so ashamed.)

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

All the Real Housewives shows, Bethenny Getting Married, an Watch what happens live. I'm hooked on the the whole kit and kaboodle much to DH's dismay.

Has anyone noticed the new Design Star has started on HGTV?

Is that neanderthal Antonio still on the air?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh yes, Facebook!! I absolutely love it! I've hooked up with my cousins that I lost touch with after I moved away. I love chatting with friends and family and looking at their pictures & posting my own pictures. And I've learned how to "spy" on people I know but not Friends with. That's fun, especially seeing their pictures. lol. Those of you with FB know what I'm talking about. :)

I have another guilty pleasure and I wonder if anyone else has the same? Soaps! I have to watch (or record) The Young and the Restless, and The Bold and the Beautiful. Y&R is intelligently written most of the time, and the decor is to die for. B&B is just JUICY! Also good decor. They have high dollar sets which makes them even better. I always fix my lunch during the soaps and sit there and read at the same time.

My DIL and her mother (both teachers) watch them too so we hve fun at family gatherings dishing about our soaps. :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I must have missed your GH post before I did mine above. So there IS another person who watches soaps!

I used to watch GH all the time, but I got tired of the mob stories and hated when they practically got rid of all the Quartermaines. I loved watching them. :(

• natal
    13 years ago

And I've learned how to "spy" on people I know but not Friends with. That's fun, especially seeing their pictures. lol.

That's creepy. If you're spying doesn't that mean other people are doing the same to you?

• golddust
    13 years ago

People can make their photos public or private on Facebook. If the photos are set for public viewing, then it isn't really spying.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

God forbid I should ever find fault with someone else's guilty pleasure, but really, Roselvr - Tori & Dean? Not that I'm criticizing (someone who can watch Say Yes To The Dress for three hours should really keep her mouth shut), but truly, that woman is...a walking tragedy.

Actually just kidding, but still wondering.

And what is SYTTD?

Flying Flower - I watched the new Design Star and afterwards checked the HGTV forums looking for comments and there was a question about Antonio. Everyone hated him. There was also a note from someone at HGTV stating that they have new "exciting" plans for him and we should check the website. Oh for sure.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep Natal, they can look at mine too. My page is private but my pictures aren't, but I don't have anything personal. I call it spying for lack of a better word. Do you have a FB acct?

We can look at friends of our friends and if we know someone we can click on their page and see if their Wall is public (a lot of them are), and look at their pictures, which are ususally public too.

That's part of the FB fun. :)

• User
    13 years ago

If you're going to put a name to the fb searching I'd say nosey/curious is a better word than creepy.... assuming you know at least know who the person is. I'd be willing to bet anyone with a fb account at least trys to do it with certain people. You'd be amazed at how many people don't adjust the settings. I'd go through the list of where I went to high school. I actually got rid of my account because I found myself spending too much time on it. I can talk to all those people IRL or email them. But everything on my page was private. It was so weird but I felt very unconnected with the world for awhile! That's sad! When you're closing your account it brings up a page that says "are you sure you want to... so and so will miss you" and it shows different pictures of your friends.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Sable - SYTTD = Say Yes To The Dress - I was being lazy lol

Yes, Tori & Dean - lol I'm addicted to the show. I'm older then her by over 10 years so was not into the 90210 craze.. the only reason I started watching it was because I felt a bond with her because my dad passed a few months before her's.. & there was all her family drama, which I had too. I find her very down to earth & I love her kids.

• natal
    13 years ago

Call the searching nosy/curious/spying whatever ... it still sounds creepy. And no I don't have a FB account ... no desire. I'm happy staying in touch via email. One of my cousins did start a quarterly family newsletter, so that's a nice way to keep up-to-date with what's going on.

My sister, who's 12 years older, is on FB. She quickly realized why the privacy settings exist. It's like on these forums. For every person you "see" how many more are lurking in the background? I think some people share way too much personal info here. I can only imagine what it's like on FB.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Clothes-lots, jewelry, shoes, handbags

Watching a Boston Legal episode in the middle of the day with a glass of wine

Plants, lots, flowering containers

Eating late- this is bad!!

Saying NO to facebook- this is good!!

Sea Salt cashews

Rotisserie chicken wings

• golddust
    13 years ago

Just because you don't participate on FB, Natal, doesn't mean it's creepy. Creepy is way too strong of a word.

I have a facebook account and it's fun to keep up with old close friends, school mates and extended family. A close friend just posted an old photo of me taken in 1970. I was touched that he kept it.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Let's see:

This group.

A fresh hot mug of Assam tea and happy cats.

Finding comfortable AND cute AND affordable shoes. I have been known to dance in the store aisles when this rare event occurs. (similar to Bigfoot sightings! LOL)

Cleaning the house until it shines and then getting myself a glass of cold white wine like pinot grigio, sliced pear and golden apple with cheeses and crackers.

A fresh just-in-the-door decor magazine or book. There is a wonderful lot of new books due out about October in time for the Holiday Season.

A Cosmo.

Cadbury's Fruit and Nut Chocolate bar.

A new scented candle.

Finding a fresh decor item, bringing it home and finding the perfect spot!

Having a flash of inspiration -- and shifting around decor items that I have had for years -- and creating a fresh look!

Finding a bargain at our local Talbots Outlet Store!

Domaine Ste. Michelle Extra Brut champagne (sparkling wine) This is SO fantastic and VERY VERY affordable.

Cold Strongbow cider in a tall glass with a great meal.

Rosemary Bread from Central Market -- with a large flat dish of olive oil, salt and pepper. Shared with friends and white wine!

Homemade soup or chili.

A Scots treat called "Eccles Cakes" -- sort of a pastry/biscuit with raisins inside.

Cold apple pie with a brown sugared lattice-style crust and really good sharpest cheddar cheese.

Finding a new restaurant -- affordable, fun and great food!

Finishing a project like painting a room -- and the results are EXACTLY what I had in mind -- Or better!

That moment when I finish cleaning out, clearing out and organizing cupboards or drawers. LOL!

A load of flowers for the garden.

Flowers for the table or mantel.

Dancing.

Listening to a favorite band.

Watching the moon.

Admiring the sunlight.

Rainshowers.

Paranormal stories from authors like Stephen King or Simon Greene (The Nightside series)

Horror movies -- including classics from the Hammer Studio.

The cheap, cheap, cheap monster movies from the SciFi channel on Saturday nights. LOL!

Re-watching favorite movies over and over.

Re-reading favorite books over and over.

Realtor.com -- checking out REALLY expensive and OLD homes from wonderful cities around the U.S. THEN I play the "what would I do to sell this house?" OR "what would I do to decorate this house?"

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

roselvr, I like Tori and Dean too. She does seem down to earth and really loves and cares for her family. Like on a recent episode, she had never been away from her kids overnight, when Dean planned an overnight trip. She worried the whole time. It just seems that a lot of celebrities don't think twice about leaving their small children, and it was refreshing seeing that in her. Just one reason I like her. But, she has gotten WAY too skinny, IMO.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I hope you don't feel guilty about all that stuff teacats/Jan!
    Isn't that just normal life?

• polly929
    13 years ago

The houswives shows, red wine, and magazines.

Can't get enough of them.

• beache
    13 years ago

I have oh so many but,off the top of my head:

-One Life to Live The only soap I watch. Been tuning in since high school. Now I DVR it and fast-forward through commercials

-Project Runway, Shear Genius and Top Chef on Bravo

-Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts, toasted and slathered butter--can't keep 'em in the house or I just keep going back for more!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Just for a teeny-tiny micro-second or two -- on a very FEW of those mentioned .... LOL!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Roselvr - SYTTD. Duh! Don't I feel silly!

I can understand if you identify with her, having had similar problems. I don't actually know much about her except that she had a heck of a fight with her mother after her dad died, and that the break continues to be very sad. I had to laugh at your line about being ten years too old for whatever that zipcode number program is. I remember being addicted to the original Star Trek - on its initial run - and I was all grown up. Talk about LOL.

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

There's a new show called The Fabulous Beekman Boys that's a lot of fun to watch...it's on Planet Green so people may not know about it yet given that this network is a little off the beaten track. I only found out about by catching a bit of Martha Stewart's show one day as she was promoting the show.

It's about two city "boys" who have bought a farm & hisotric 1802 farmhouse in rural New York state. They are a gay couple which adds to the humor because they're so out of their element. There's also Farmer John who works for them, he's the experienced one who takes care of the animals, especially his goats. He cried in the first episode he is so emotionally attached to his goats!

Planet Green has put the first episode up on their website so you can watch it in its entirety on your computer. Wait till you see what the llama does, too cute.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabulous Beekman Boys

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Jan (Teacats) - I love your list! Those are all wonderful things - nothing to feel guilty over. I love many of those myself. Ummm Cadbury chocolate and decorating magazines and books! Definitely pleasures of mine!

I find most tv boring and have so many other *pleasures* (I refuse to say guilty!), that I spend very little time on shows.

Loved your list!

tina

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

STAYING IN MY PJ'S, ALL DAY! I love my flannels, and do this mostly in the winter months.

Getting all 'gussied up' and going out to dinner at a 'fancy' restaurant with DD or friends.

Talking with my best friend long distance for 1 1/2 hours!!!

Bidding on a few of the internet auctions.

Cruising the blogs!

Having a Coke!!!(I never buy soda!!)

Eating more than one Market Pantry(Target)cranberry/orange scones with my morning coffee OR a piece of chocolate cake!

Making iced coffee in the middle of the afternoon and topping it off with whipped cream!

Eating the chocolate cake in bed!

Taking a nap on a rainy day.

Driving down to the Quik Mart and getting an ice cream Drumstick.

Making chicken/dressing or chicken/dumplings for myself.

And of course watching ALL the Housewives shows, Bethanny's Getting Married!, Hoarders(and other Bravo reality TV!!), Hoarders~Buried Alive!, Kendra, The Kardashians, and other shows on E!

Life is good! ;o)

• susan209
    13 years ago

Patty Cakes, I'm with you as far as the pajamas go. I love my cotton knit, capri summer ones.....when I have no where to go and no one is coming here, I just stay in them. Diet coke (one a day), a good cup of coffee, a cold Drumstick ice cream but I buy a pack of four so I have left overs, all of the Housewives series (love them), many things on A&E, eating whenever I feel like it (no set mealtime anymore), good chocolate and fresh flowers. There are many others but these are afew of the pleasures I give myself as I am worth it.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Spending time on Garden Web!

• awm03
    13 years ago

Reading when there's work to do. Staying up late and reading. I can't relax unless I'm mentally engrossed in something, and books & crossword puzzles are just the thing for that.

• suero
    13 years ago

Reading this.

• dgranara
    13 years ago

Toddlers and Tiaras! And yes, I talk to the screen while it's on.

I don't know what it is about that show, but it sure does make me feel like a great parent :)