SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

remodeling 1930's tudor

joeschmoe80
17 years ago

I just purchased (at auction) a 3200 square-foot Tudor home in a great neighborhood-for about 20% of what it will be worth after a sizeable amount of mostly cosmetic improvements. Most of the homes in the neighborhood are in tip-top shape and worth well over $350,000 (I got this for $67000 at auction-this is the Midwest, not California!) and this is in a sought-after older city neighborhood here.

Among other things, the ENTIRE house (and I mean entire-even the bathrooms and kitchen) was covered in 1970's snot-green shag carpeting! Under the carpet was PAINTED hardwood floors. It does have large baseboards and nice crown moldings, once I repaint the blue-green color this crazy old lady who owned it used.

Rather than refinish the floors, I was thinking that I might use 3/8" Solid Brazilian Cherry plank flooring, probably in 4" width from Launstein in the dining room, living room, and den, and possibly in other rooms too. On one hand, I don't want the house to look odd for the period in which it was built, but at the same time, I think with the painted tall baseboards and crown moldings (that I will repaint of course) the BC would look great, and hold up better than American Cherry, and be more "interesting" than oak. I want this place to be a nice mix of modern and classic. What does everyone here think?

The kitchen currently has plain, ugly metal cabinets and I'll probably replace those with cherry or hickory as well, just FYI, although I am working on the flooring first, before I move in completely.

Comments (2)