SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diy_monger

Reinstalling the baseboard

diy_monger
14 years ago

I had wood floors installed recently, and I opted to remove the baseboard trim rather than having the floor planks butt up against the baseboards. Now I'm getting ready to put the baseboard back on, and I'm looking for advice on the preferred way of doing so.

Two main questions come to mind. First, the bottoms of the baseboards and/or the wood floors themselves aren't perfectly flat. This results in some parts where the bottom of baseboard is flush with the floor, and other parts with a gap (along the same length of wall). The gaps aren't very big -- probably 1/8" -- but the inconsistency looks a little odd to me. Is baseboard typically installed so that the bottom of the trim pieces are flush with the floor? If so, then I'm guessing that my only option here is to install something like 1/4-round shoe molding which is flexible enough to bend and close the gap. I had hoped to avoid this, but it's starting to seem inevitable.

My second question: is there anything I can do now so that if I need to remove the baseboard/quarter-round in the future, I can do so without scratching or otherwise damaging the wood floors? My idea is to install the baseboards with an intentional gap at the bottom (maybe 1/8"-1/4") and cover the gap with the shoe molding. It seems like it might be easier to safely remove flush shoe molding without scratching the floor than it would be to try that with baseboard.

Thanks!

Comments (3)