SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnnie

Carpeting in Finished Basement Question

mnnie
15 years ago

Hello, we have 6 year old berber carpet in our finished basement that is in need of replacement. A couple years after it was installed, we had a flood in the basement and either that, my efforts at cleaning it, or the professional carpet cleaner caused some major brown stains that will NOT go away. (They disappear when the carpet is wet but come right back when it is dry). The carpet was still under warranty, and the carpet company came out and after some kind of analysis said that the warranty was invalid because there was too much alkaline.

Ok, so here's my questions:

Any ideas for carpets I should consider? Polyester? Nylon? Something else? I don't think it is worth spending alot for top quality - we probably will sell the house in five years or less - and the basement isn't used all that much. And there are no kids.

The basement stays cold in the summer and is super cold in the winter (our home is in Minnesota). The carpet will go over concrete. We upgraded the pad initially. Is there something else I should do to make it less cold down there? If it were warmer, we might even use the basement more. It is a big area - 550 square feet.

I'm thinking a frieze - I think it will look warmer.

Thanks!

Deb

Comments (3)