SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help needed ASAP - 50 to 60 @ 1pm "potluck"

2ajsmama
11 years ago

I posted on Entertaining but that forum looks pretty slow - lots of old threads. I need help helping with a 100th birthday party less than 1 month away (my dad's uncle).

His DD has got a hall, wanted to do potluck since she doesn't have much money, 1 granddaughter is bringing sausage and peppers and mac and cheese (I don't know how much), a friend is bringing baked beans. I want to try to suggest to my (dad's) cousin that she ask people to prepare specific things (maybe 2 more big pans of sausage, 3 of meatballs, 5 of baked pasta with sauce) rather than letting people bring whatever they want.

Can anyone suggest a menu for 1pm party (given what she already has coming, some non-pork eaters, wide range of ages and health), and quantities (as well as tactful way to suggest a "menu")?

Thanks

Comments (21)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You want to make sure you have some veggies so a large tossed salad would be good or some cooked veggie sides would be good. You could also do a bread basket and cold cuts so that way people can make their own sandwiches...it will be 1pm after all and some, esp children, may rather do lunch....

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I already signed my mom up for a tossed salad (I'll tell her to make a big one), I'm sure we can get others to do some too, question is how much?

Since party is at 1pm, and people are cooking to bring things, I'm not sure many will have eaten. Older friends (like his dr) may not be asked to bring anything (just family), they may eat and parents may have fed their kids (most of the kids won't eat much anyway, except for bread and desserts), but I'm sure most of the adults will consider this a late lunch/early dinner. We live close by (as do my dad and his brothers), have been asked to be there about 2 hrs early to help set up, so we won't be eating lunch first, and I'm sure some of the people living 1hr+ away won't be either.

I suggested cold cuts but hostess said no. I also told her that the more variety you have, the more overall that people will eat, so if she keeps it to a few meats and side dishes not as much food would be required. For example (and I'm making up numbers here b/c I don't know), in addition to the sausage and peppers, she wanted kielbasa and sauerkraut, ham, and for the lighter eaters/Jewish friends she wanted turkey. Sides include the mac N cheese, potato salad, Watergate (pudding/fruit) salad, tossed salad. I told her I had a 13 lb turkey but she couldn't count on just 15-20 people eating that, maybe 35-40 out of 55-60 she's expecting will want that, and even though they'd take smaller portions, it might run out after 30 people. Same with sausage, etc. - if you plan for 15 full servings of say 4 different things, figuring you'd have enough for 60 people, you'll find that a lot of people (knowing the men in our family) will "sample" 3 out of 4 and take what would normally be considered 1/2 serving of each (or 1/3 serving each of the 4 items), so now you've got the 30 people who pile their plates eating 10-15 servings of each main dish, and then there's little to nothing left for the other 25-30 people. I'm exaggerating of course, I'm sure half the people won't go unfed, but something (the more popular items) will run out quickly.

She just didn't want to ask someone to make enough of any one dish to feed 60 people, she doesn't have to, she just needs to ask multiple people to make the same basic thing. I think meatballs (turkey meatballs?) might be a good alternative to sausage, and baked pasta (no meat) goes with either (this is going to be at The Italian Club LOL), just question how much of each to make. Of course lots of bread and butter to fill people up - rolls or buy loaves of Italian to save money (but then there's the time cutting them up)?

• Related Discussions

Need your help ASAP Order arrived and not looking good..Pic's

Q

Comments (25)
    Businesses deserve the opportunity to resolve customer complaints before their reputations become damaged. From what I could tell by researching the internet before I placed my orders, MariettaÂs Gardens enjoys an excellent reputation among a lot of satisfied customers. Do you suppose that either someone working for MariettaÂs or for the carrier might have messed up? Those things do happen, unfortunately, when employees make mistakes. I ordered daylilies from MariettaÂs about the same time that you did. They were shipped quickly, and all of the daylilies I received from them arrived in excellent condition. I live south of you in Texas too, and in our area near Houston weÂve had an extraordinary amount of rainfall this summer, along with high heat and humidity. Yet with all the orders received this month, I havenÂt experienced anything like you have. So I donÂt think buying daylilies this time of the year was the reason for the root rot and mold. Hopefully, you will find in a couple of weeks that all your daylilies are growing and have recuperated from the stress of transplant during July, as are mine.
    ...See More

Need advice ASAP please.....

Q

Comments (7)
    I may be unpopular when I say this...but.... Here in Florida (even where I live, where it freezes) most people plant new trees (including palms) in NOVEMBER. They hurricane cut the palms and get them into the ground, where they go through the winter pretty much just fine. The kinds of palms they do this with are Pindos, Canary Island dates, Pygmy dates, Med fans, Mexican fans, Queens, and some others that are common and cold hardy whose names I am not up on. I didn't plant mine in NOvember, I waited til February, and planted 2 pygmy dates, a Canary Island date, a new Med fan, 2 Trachys, and 2 silver dates. I was too busy in November, and thought Feb would be okay, then we had that one freaky night that it dropped to 23 in mid-Feb, but it didn't damage any of my new palms one bit. Until last night, its been anywhere from 45-68 at night. Last night it decided to be 40 (could have been worse, it was suppoed to be 32) Since you missed NOvember, I'd agree and say wait a week or 2 more til it warms up.
    ...See More

Our reclaimed pine: junk or fine? Need help ASAP!

Q

Comments (4)
    Installing sanding and finishing antique heart pine is about 60% of our business. Most of the pine we have been buying lately is reclaimed from textile mills in the CarolinaÂs and northern Georgia. As sb345 said the oil is probably light machine oil that was used on the machines in the textile mills. This oil would cover the wood floors in the mill and soak down into the large beams below the flooring. These beams are now sawn into flooring so some of this flooring will have only a few areas of this oil but others can be completely saturated with this oil. A photo of this flooring would help. I have never seen oil on flooring from milling but I guess it could happen. Tell your finisher to do some test with different finishing systems on the oily areas before trying to finish the entire floor. It would be best to get a finisher experienced with this oily pine but if your finisher does his homework he can be successful. If your are going with a natural finish, Zinsser SealCoat or Parks Universal Sealer (both dewaxed shellac) will almost always seal in the oil and blend the color of the oiled areas to the areas with no oil. We have never had a failure using this sealer under an oil or water-based finish on this oily wood. My favorite finish system for this oily pine is tung oil. After sanding we use two coats of Waterlox Original Sealer and two coats of Waterlox Satin Finish. What ever finish system you use try to get the first coat on as quick as you can after final sanding because the oil will work its way to the surface of the flooring and mix with the finish. Good Luck
    ...See More

Need potluck main dish for 40-50 for party at our home

Q

Comments (21)
    I'm a big fan of meatballs so that'd be a first choice for me. A good ham, even a turkey would be simple as would be the pulled pork. A good hearty chicken salad (a good one with nuts, grapes, etc) would be on my plate too. A spread of meats and cheeses for a build your own sandwich would be good too with good quality buns, breads or the like. Even a mini salad bar would be nice and could be used for topping a sandwich if they should so choose. Or go one better for a taco bar. Is this going to be a standing, walkaround affair or sit down? Soup and chili are not good options for stand and mingle but it's a good time of year for it. A lighter scalloped potatoes and ham would work well too. If the food needs to be out a long time though, I'd definitely look for some electric roasters, crockpots, even electric frypans wok well as a chafing dish
    ...See More
  • loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

Once you have an idea of what you need/want, then tell people "we need these, which would you like to bring?"

Vegetarian dishes
    Meat dishes
    Bread
    Salad
    Fruit
    Dessert
    Drinks, soda, water, tea, coffee

• booberry85
    11 years ago

DH has a big family. So when we get together people are assigned general things to bring. The host usually supplies whatever the main meal is. The rest bring a dish that's assigned. So each family would be assigned one of the following:
    appetizers
    beverages
    salad(s)
    potato dish(es)
    veggie dish(es) that is not salad or potato dish
    maybe pasta side dish(es)
    dessert(s)

Considering the number of people coming, you'd need more than one of each of the categories. Whoever doesn't bring a dish helps with set up and clean up.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's the point - what/how much do we need? I was trying to make the point that the more different dishes you have, the more of each you will need (can't just divide total by number of guests), but how many different meat dishes are recommended, and how many servings of each? Then also side dishes - I'm thinking baked pasta and mac N cheese could be kid main dish or adult side dish, go with a lot, but if we make turkey (buy extra drumsticks?) do we need mashed potatoes instead of/in addition to potato salad? That's 1 more thing to make, and to keep warm. Plus cooking/carving and keeping the turkey warm is added hassle (though I don't mind donating the turkey I've had in the fridge for 4 months).

I'm thinking pans of sausage, meatballs and casseroles are just easier than roasts meats, esp. something like turkey or beef that needs carving. Even baked chicken thighs would be easier. If we're going to be there for 2 hours setting up I can even make them right there.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Crossing posts. She is having people bring the meat dishes, since all her funds are going toward renting the hall. At least we convinced her not to have it at her house (where it was supposed to be limited to 30 people) since she needs joint replacement and is using a walker. I think she can ask for specifics (from multiple people) rather than letting people bring whatever. Since her nieces (and her sons) aren't close by, I am the only 1 of the younger (3rd) generation here to help, though my uncles (slightly younger than she in their 60's) and their wives will help set up/clean up as well as cook.

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

LOL but I really hope that turkey is in your FREEZER and not your fridge.

I think knowing what you need and giving people a choice of those items to bring is a good compromise on a free for all potluck.

If you do the turkey, carve it up the day before and reheat it.

You are correct in surmising that it is better to have fewer dishes and more of each dish.

We catered a lunch party that started at 1 for 135 guests (and while you may think that's late and an early dinner, not one of our guests had eaten lunch when they arrived).

We served 2 salads: Ceasar and Mixed greens with apples and Strawberries. I made 3 full size pans of each.

Then I made pan roasted chicken with about 20 breasts per full size pan and made 6 pans. There were left overs but because of the way we brought food out and served it, we were able to freeze most of the left overs. BTW, we used disposable chaffing dishes from Party City to keep everything warm.

I also made oven roasted fish. I can't remember how much was in each pan or how much was left over. I bought 12 bags of fish from Costco.

Sides were cous cous (1 full size pan), pasta (penne rigatta au Primavera) (3 full size pans and there was none left), smashed potatoes (20 lbs) and roasted vegetables (lots).

For the kids I made chicken nuggets and mac and cheese but most of them ate the adult food as well. A few of the adults had the nuggets and mac and cheese as well :)

Dessert: Ok, I'm a pastry chef so dessert was fancy. Lots of baked pastries, trifle, fresh fruit, a chocolate fondue, cookies, etc. We had chocolate left over from the fondue and some marshmallows and pretzel rod.

I gave everybody Chinese take out boxes to take left over dessert home

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, that helps. If you offered chicken and fish (how many lbs in a bag?) then I think 2-3 meats is the most I'd want to go with (if they insist on kielbasa then I'd not do poultry).

I was reading online to allow 6 oz meat per person but if offering more than 1 type of meat then make it 4oz of each (total 8 oz not 6) and then another serving for every 4-5 people?

If a breast was 6 oz then you used 45 lbs of chicken (with some left over), think it was 24 lbs of fish? If 4 oz servings that was 276 servings for 135 people so just about 8 oz per person which agrees with above.

Full sized pans are like full sheet cake pans (but 3" deep)? Couple pounds of pasta in each one? 3 lbs?

I don't think this crowd would eat that much salad, I think 2 full pans would be enough, they'll go more for the starchy sides.

1 GD bakes cakes for a living, she's bringing birthday cake but I will mention that we should have cookies too (just buy tubs of cookies from BJs or grocery store, not homemade). Last year I made cupcakes (smaller crowd) and they went fast, while fondant-covered cake she brought had leftovers. Of course that was a BBQ, not a sit-down dinner. But I still think adults will eat cookies and I know the kids will (not sure how many great-grandkids will be there, my 2 are the only other ones invited, she had to draw the line somewhere. In fact, my cousins aren't invited either, this party is more for older generations/friends and of course direct descendants of the birthday "boy").

I am not aware of any dietary restrictions (other than the Jewish dr and my great-uncle's restriction on salt), but given maybe 20 of the guests are older friends/neighbors in their 70's -80's (don't think any 90's), can you suggest any foods we should have available as alternatives to what I've mentioned? Maybe some plain white rice (no salt, no butter/oil)? Plain pasta (not that baked pasta is bade, but I know sauce/cheese may have too much sodium)?

And yes, the turkey is in the deep freeze ;-)

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I agree, the best way to be sure you have enough is to make a menu and then tell people "we need these things, which would you like to bring".

Normally for potlucks I just figure that when it's gone, it's gone and you'll just have to eat something else, but I make sure I have enough of the main/meat course. If I have three bowls of potato salad and one of fruit salad, oh well.

I can tell you first hand about the pasta, though. I did Italian for Ashley's wedding. Italian for 350, I never want to see another piece of pasta, LOL.

It takes about 3 pounds of pasta for one of those big roasting sized disposable pans. You could get 4 pounds in, but it doesn't give you much room for sauce and it's hard to get out of the oven/warmer.

I'd go with chicken instead of turkey, because it's cheaper and you can get pieces and not have to carve.

Annie

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Annie, how are you doing? I've been busy losing money on the farm ;-), haven't been posting much.

I started thinking about the restricted diets, thought maybe 1 pan of plain pasta with oven-roasted (frozen? might not end up being much to them) tomatoes, some oregano, basil (no fresh stuff yet, I haven't started it, will have to be dried), maybe some fresh-ground pepper? I do have some tomatoes that I roasted until almost dry (still pliable) and then froze, as well as others (from blighted plants so I didn't want to can) that I just quartered and froze. Cousin might have some too, they grew a lot of tomatoes last year though I don't know how/if she preserved them (she freezes a lot).

Frozen meatballs might be salty too - though maybe people on restricted diets (except uncle) might eat before they come. So we'd have to make them, and then there's the problem of what to cook them in (sauce). Think chicken thighs might be better (maybe lemon-pepper, or go Italian?)?

How many people do you think 3 lbs of pasta would serve as a side?

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

I will never again make the mistake of assuming people have eaten prior to an event, especially children.

Son's 10th birthday party was planned at 1:30 - invitations specifically said cake and ice cream would be served. His whole class showed up, with parents, and NONE had eaten! This was a bowling party and, before I was aware of it, parents were coming back to the table with plates of food they had ordered and paid for.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Will this help?

Here is a link that might be useful: Big pots....

• wintercat_gw
    11 years ago

Tactful way to suggest a menu: I'd mention I just read Anne Tyler's (delightful) "A Patchwork Planet", in which a potluck thanksgiving dinner ends up a catastrophe. Nobody is assigned specific dishes. Everybody is told to bring whatever they fancy - whatever they're good at. Result: several dessert dishes (mainly pumpkin pies) and NO turkey. I think there was one single tuna salad, which was THE hit among the guests.

So let's plan ours, shall we?

:)

• compumom
    11 years ago

Remember the old catering adage that follks are "hungrier" on Sundays. Maybe it's awakening later or a different meal pattern, but they do eat. Certainly this is true about dinner, not sure if it's applicable to lunch too, but be prepared/
    i just have to ask-- why does she want kielbasa of all things? I wouldn't think that would be very popular in most circles. I'd shoot for a pasta dish and things which are lower salt for the older crowd.
    i'm reminded after yesterday's birthday party and the last high school potluck I attended, that is if the food looks thin, quickly order a pizza delivery. the kids will always gravitate to pizza.

• triciae
    11 years ago

My experience with large gatherings mid-day is that even if people just had lunch an hour ago they will scarf down incredible amounts of food again at a party. Something about the environment and celebratory mood - people just gravitate towards food. I would just completely discount the idea that "people may have already eaten".

I also agree with compumom. Have the pizza guy's phone number handy. Most pizza shops also offer things besides pizza and they can replenish your buffet in 20-30 minutes.

Black bean, roasted corn, tomato salad is pretty with bright colors, flavors and seems to go over well at group gatherings and would give a vegetarian option that is also a protein.

/tricia

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

I've held off saying anything but here it goes .... I would not serve fish because they are quick to cook and they can get overcooked in a very short time. (I live in FL and cook fish all the time.) Even pasta. It gets gummy and yucky when overcooked. There's got to be better choices, even though I'm not experienced in serving large crowds of people.

Just my thoughts.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I'm doing pretty well now, I broke my elbow a couple of months ago and was pretty severely restricted by the ortho guy, but I've been "released" until "next time". (grin) I've got seeds to buy and gardens to till, pasture to seed and calves to wean, I've been slacking!

I also find that when people are serving themselves they tend to take more. I also think that a lot of people will come hungry, due to the time of day and the fact that it's a potluck.

Usually my rule of thumb is a pound of pasta will feed 4 people as a main dish, 5 or 6 as a side dish, so your 3 pounds of pasta will feed 15-18 people (depending on age, size, gender, etc.)

Pasta is cheap, but it's a bit harder to "hold" after cooking. Remember that if it sits it's going to suck up a lot of the liquid, so be prepared with a bit extra sauce if you go that direction.

Annie

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wasn't thinking fish, may do chicken thighs. I think I can manage to do the chicken and pasta there (while we're setting up) so it won't have to sit too long and I don't have to transport/reheat it. I'm counting on people coming hungry too, thought maybe other kids (not mine, DS is going to help set up so won't eat) and people on restricted diets *might* have eaten, but we'll still have to have something for them. Mac and cheese for the kids (better feed my DD first, she's so picky), and lemon chicken, pasta with homegrown tomatoes (maybe some roasted potatoes thrown in with the chicken?) for the low-salt crowd?

OMG Annie, until "next time" is right. Did you have to have surgery on the elbow? Have you got to break something every year ;-)?

Yeah, I've got seeds to start (I've got 100 peppers germinating, need to start tomatoes, buy potatoes). Can't seem to find a market this year (discontinuing the one I've been at 2 years? Haven't been able to find out anything since market manager quit), and that wholesale customer who was so gung ho last Sept has not returned any calls (I'd call once a month, stopped by just b4 Xmas) so I gave up a couple months ago and ordered my seed for what I thought I could sell at market. Now I don't know how many tomatoes to start - not as many as last year, I was *giving* plants away!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, the potluck has turned into not much of a potluck. Besides a pan of sausage, 1 of kielbasa, mac & cheese, baked beans and potato salad, looks like the rest of the contributions are going to be tossed salad, cookies, veggie platter, crab dip, jalapeno poppers (all BBQ type food - this was originally going to be a BBQ at my cousin's house, with them supplying the meat).

So, family is still supplying the meat plus more - cousin bought 2 spiral hams (don't know how big - assume that's about 20-30 lbs?), her sister is making rolls (?! for 65 people and counting!), one of my aunts is making a "big" (?) green bean casserole, niece is making (we assume, I haven't talked to her) 24 chicken thighs I left her message that BJ's has that size package for $1/lb. I was going to make chicken thighs too, you think 24 more (about 18 lbs total between the 2 of us) is enough with the ham (other meats may just be enough for a "taste") or should I buy another package? DH thinks that 72 thighs (27 lbs) sounds like too much considering the 2 hams. I'm also thinking I should make a pan of oven-roasted potatoes?

Oh, and we can use the oven at the club to warm things, but they don't allow sterno or candles, and the food tables will have to be in the middle of the room so no way to plug in crockpots, etc. The best we could come up with is to just keep warming things in the oven, bring potholders and trivets to put the hot pans on the table and after an hour or so check if things need to be reheated or if everyone's eaten we can pack them up in fridge.

My cousin also wants to buy some cheese and crackers, chips and salsa, and potato chips to munch on - I don't know what time she thinks we'll eat, but I think

1. There are some appetizers coming already
    2. Party starts at 1:00, if people have eaten already they'll just eat some munchies and want to stay for cake, but I'm betting most people will want to eat "dinner" right away.

Oh, yes, I am bringing the Mr. Tea maker so we can make iced by the pitcher if people want that instead of hot coffee/tea, also picking up some jugs of lemonade, she has 5 2-liter bottles of Coke and is picking up some bottled water. I'll ask my dad to bring a cooler full of ice and I'll bring another.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 12:51

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I've also used the cold brew tea bags at weddings, making a 5 gallon thermos jug of iced tea at a time, they're fine for large amounts.

As for dinner rolls, I made rolls for 350 and it wasn't too much of a problem. 60 people is only 5 dozen, I bake that regularly for family dinners so everyone can take some home.

I'd definitely do the potatoes, but with spiral hams and sausage and kielbasa, I don't think you need a lot more meat.

I don't mind the 10 desserts and a tuna sandwich kind of potlucks but I know other people are far more set on having an entire balanced meal. I figure I'll eat what I want and I won't starve to death if I miss one meal.

Annie

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Annie - I think we'll get along fine with 48 chicken thighs with all the other meat there, just wanted to offer a low-sodium/low fat alternative since the rest of the menu is artery-clogging (I don't know if the birthday boy is the only one with a pacemaker). Oh, the dr's receptionist is bringing a pasta salad too. I'm not shooting for balanced as in healthy necessarily but I want to make sure people have options, and since I think many are going to consider it their main meal of the day, I thought there should be more than just appetizers and desserts - and my cousin thinks so too, that's why she bought the hams and asked the 2 of us to cook chicken (after I told her turkey was too much hassle).

I figure people will have 2 rolls each (or most will, knowing my family) so that's 130 rolls and counting - I think the confirmed guest list is growing, 2 of my cousin's boys and maybe 1 DIL are coming from NC, and a nephew from SC, the priest and the deacon, hopefully we'll have a better head count next week. This other cousin (also in her 70's) making the rolls is in poor health, I just hated to think of her slaving away making that many rolls when I could just buy a gross for $20, but it's her dad's birthday and these rolls are a family tradition for them (her mom's recipe?).

Anyway, with the chips and dips and crackers and cheese and soft drinks as well as the ham, I'm afraid my poor cousin is spending a lot more on this party than she was originally planning on. At least I offered to get the chips and crackers instead of the rolls I was planning on, she'll let me know about the cheese and salsa (they have their favorites and she plans on getting them at grocery store, I just want to make 1 more big trip to BJ's next week).

I also think my cousin's (younger) fiance is influencing the menu, with the chips and the kielbasa and such, and not really thinking of what the 70 and older crowd is allowed to eat.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022