SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
montekay_gw

Pre-wiring new construction for everything...

montekay
16 years ago

Hi

I have a new house under construction and Im trying to sort out the details of pre-wiring to make sure I donÂt forget anything. I'm currently working outside the US and will have only a three day window back home to get all the wiring done. After that the next time I see the house, sheet rock will already be in.

IÂll try to categorize the situationÂ

Lighting: Someone told me to run cat-5 to all the light switches, someone else told me this violates code. What should be done to prepare for automated light control? This is not a high priority, I might not ever use it but thought perhaps I should at least pre-wire for it.

Security & Cameras: The builder has a contractor pre-wiring for security but what about cameras? Cat-5 to each location? Power + RG-59 to each camera location? This is also not a high priority but thought it might be interesting to set up cameras I could log onto via internet while IÂm traveling for work. Just to see if the house is still there!

Home Theatre: IÂm putting low voltage lighting under the seat risers and will probably be in the market for some device to control the lighting for the theatre over all, probably one of these remotes that can dim the lights and control the audio video equipment etc. On this I have some time because the theatre is surrounded by attic space and wiring can be done after the fact.

Living Room TV: This will be a 60" TV with its own dedicated surround sound system. IÂm not sure if I need any interconnection between this system and the front projector based HT located above the living room. I would not expect to have a need to interconnect the two but perhaps in the future I might be getting all the source material from a HDD based central location. Maybe I should consider running a couple cat-5 lines from the theatre equipment closet and the TV down stairs?

Multi-room audio: The controller must have pre-amp out, no built in amplifiers unless these include loops for inserting signal processing. Most zones include ceiling mounted active sub-woofers so I can not use the typical "receiver" type controller due to an active crossover that must be placed prior to the amplifier. Also, all volume control must be done prior to the active crossover. IÂm currently looking for options on controllers. So far Home Theatre Direct seems to be the best choice. They seem inexpensive for what you get, I wonder about the quality.

Energy Management: Someone said route cat-5 to the thermostat. Is that it? This is also not high priority, might never use it.

What else do I need? What else would I want if I knew it existed or thought about it?

Thanks,

Monte Kay

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions