SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockmanor

Summer entertaining?

rockmanor
12 years ago

We're hosting a half dozen of dh's colleagues for dinner this week. I'm relieved that it's far fewer people than he invited for the last two suppers, but it still intimidates me. I've kept things very casual so far and that seems to have been well received. For me, casual means using Fiestaware instead of bone china & stainless flatware instead of sterling, serving buffet style from our large kitchen island, eating in the sunroom instead of the dining room, and preparing simple dishes (I'm a home cook, not a trained chef.) Because summer weather started early this year, folks have come mostly in shorts or capris.

The past week has been brutally hot, with highs of 98 - 101. If we're lucky, the temperature drops to 95 by 7 p.m. I'm thinking of serving an entirely cold/chilled/room temp meal - no hot food at all. I don't want to repeat anything I served at the last few meals, because a couple of guests were invited previously, too. That's putting me in a bind because I have a pretty limited repertoire. Would you be put off by a meal of salads? I'm thinking of four or five featuring shrimp, chicken, wild rice, veggies, and/or pasta, plus something lettuce/greens based.

Then, there's dessert. Dh has a huge sweet tooth and says fruit "doesn't count." I've still served some sort of fresh fruit dish, but in addition to - not instead of - cake, pie and/or cookies. Should I stick with chilled desserts, such as ice box pies? Maybe do an old fashion banana cream pie, too? I want to offer a choice, but don't want tons of leftovers.

What do you like to serve (or have) in the summer? Any ideas that don't entail cooking outdoors? Thanks!

Comments (27)