SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toadangel

questions about tiling an entryway

toadangel
15 years ago

i'm working on my entryway & have some questions for bill & whoever else has ideas... i ripped out vinyl/lauan and carpet, and will be using kerabond/keralastic on the 3/4" osb subfloor, then ditra, seal the seams with kerdi, then kerabond/water under 13x13 porcelain tiles. the tiles will transition to vinyl (for now) in the kitchen and new laminate in the living area. i will use a laminate baby threshold where the tile meets the living area. i will be using laminate baseboards to match the living area. pics are below...

1. i plan to tile the kitchen at some point in the future, but there is vinyl & lauan now & it used to have one of those metal 1-2" strips as a transition to the entryway. What should i do now that i could also transition to when i change out the vinyl to a tile (will be different tile than the entryway)?

2. i have two "outside" doors - one to the outside & one to the garage. they have their own thresholds built into them, but what do i do with the tile that i bring up to the door frame?

3. i have a coat closet with a regular hinged door but without any kind of threshold. I plan to run the tile into the closet. Is it ok to leave it without any threshold at the door?

4. we moved an HVAC vent when we redid the area & moved it into the bathroom we created. My friend filled the hole left behind with leftover plywood & then realized it wasn't as thick as the subfloor, so he screwed on a left over piece of lauan to make up the thickness. I am concerned about the K/K attaching to the lauan, and also the K/K dripping through the edges of the filled hole that still exist. is the lauan ok to leave there? any worries about the edges leaking thinset?

thanks

lisa

the area looking from the living room

from the kitchen - closet & living room are far right, garage door far left, front door close left

the transition to the kitchen vinyl

here's the view of the outside door & sidelight

close-up of the outside door. there is a piece of wood that will cover the bottom part of the door jamb that was loose so i removed it for now

close-up of the sidelight

interior garage door

the closet doorway

the patched hvac hole

Comments (10)