SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darthjenn

Odd Subfloor Question -- Help Much Appreciated

darthjenn
15 years ago

Right--we have a 1980s condo in California. It's second floor, on a cement slab.

I pulled up a corner of our worn Berber carpet, and what do you know--there's maple underneath it, all through our kitchen, dining, and living room. An amazing find. God knows what condition it's in aside from carpet tack holes, but I am very grateful in any case. I am guessing that it was put in at build, and the first owners decided on carpet. My refinishing project begins next week.

The floor planks are not very thick, but I don't know what's normal in that regard. I cannot imagine it's engineered, but it's sitting on concrete, so I would assume it would have to be. Any thoughts? It was definitely put down in the early 80s. I thought engineered was a more recent kind of thing.

Now here's what's odd: The maple flooring is completely level with the concrete subfloor in the adjoining office and hallway. I pulled up some carpet and checked. How on earth is this possible? I mean, surely they put down the slab first and then put in the flooring-or did they?

It sort of puts me in a bit of a quandary on what to do with the adjoining rooms that have plain slab under the carpet. I mean, if I put wood down in those rooms, it would sit higher, and it seems like that would look odd, maybe even bad.

What's up with that subfloor? How can the concrete slab be level with the maple flooring?

Sorry for being long winded. It happens when I am nervous, and although I am excited about getting rid of my carpet, I am definitely nervous, too.

Comment (1)