SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

tv - led lcd over fireplace (somewhat repetitive, i know)

elphaba_gw
13 years ago

We're in the process of putting an LCD TV over our fireplace but we have the luxury of reconstructing the fireplace.

Would love any feedback on our plan below. I know there is another post on this subject but didn't want to hijack that thread.

We are attempting to make sure

--TV is no more than 44 inches above floor level

--installing a fireplace gas insert into our wood burning fireplace

--using "fireplace canopy" that can extend out 6 inches and can be used for "zero tolerance" fireplaces such as gas inserts - eliminates the need for a mantle and thus allows us to keep tv low - e.g. one example of a fireplace canopy here

--plan to use thermometer after installation and look for temperature of less than 105 degrees, if doesn't pass test then will put a more intrusive mantle in place but hoping we won't have to do that

--electronics (tentatively) will be in a cabinet on a wall crosswise from the tv wall with a soffit adjoining so cables can be run (and don't have to reduce height of TV)

(not installing electronics on same wall is most controversial, right now of all our issues - comments?)

--probably will get Samsung 55 inch even though I understand warranty will be voided - live in Texas - not too many nights when fireplace will be used - though more nights than currently used, I'm sure

--side note, plan to use marble tile surround both above, sides and below (if there turns out to be a below) - hearth will be marble slab

We haven't done any of this, still in design stage -- would love any feedback.

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace canopy - one example

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions