SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustangs81

Thanks Gardengirl/Kathy-Marmalade Recipe

mustangs81
15 years ago

Kathy, Last week I went to my brother's grove over your way and picked Murcotts for this year's orange marmalade. I tried three recipes the last being the one that you recommended. Ratz, if I had tried it first it would have been the only one. It was the easiest and best tasting. Going forward, it will be my tried and true recipe. THANK YOU!

-I had plenty of oranges, make that tons of oranges, so I juiced some to use in place of the water.

-The mandolin made this a piece of cake versus the zesting, peeling, pithing, chopping that is required in other recipes.

Cut and pasted from Kathy's original post:

Anna's Orange Marmalade Recipe source: Ina Garten

Cathy, this is SO easy, but it's time consuming. I love it because it candies the rind and it's not bitter at all. Also, you can change up this recipe with different kinds of citrus.

4 large oranges

2 lemons

8 cups water

8 cups sugar

Wash citrus and cut in half from "pole to pole". Cut citrus in very thin slices, being sure to remove the seeds. Place citrus slices and any juice in a heavy-bottomed sauce pot. Add 8 cups of water and bring citrus & water to a boil. Remove from heat and add sugar; stir till dissolved. Place lid on sauce pot and leave citrus mixture to sit over night.

The next day, bring citrus mixture back to a boil; reduce temperature and simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring regularly. After 2 hours, bring back up to a steady boil, stirring continually, for *30 minutes or until reaching gel stage.

Ladle mixture into prepared jars and process in a BWB for 10 minutes.

* Sometimes it doesn't take the exact 30 minutes at the end to come to gel stage. I guess it just depends on the water content of the fruit, moisture in the air, etc. I've had mine gel at 20 minutes or less, so just use good judgment.

Comments (17)