SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Going to England ... (maybe) ...

User
13 years ago

I'd like to get input from those who have traveled in England. I've been several times with various family members. If I go again (next year), it will be with my mom, with whom I have previously been on each of my trips to England, Scotland and Wales. My last trip to the UK was in 2005, and we spent time in London, went to Wales, and then drove back to England, to Wiltshire to stay with our friends who live in a wonderful 400+ year old thatched roof cottage. We've enjoyed staying with them on previous visits, but they are in failing health now, so staying with them will probably not pan out again.

Mom and I had briefly discussed putting together a trip last year, but it never materialized. She's recently been watching a documentary of aerial film footage of the countryside, and she's very much hyped up to return to that beautiful green, pastoral land. I've been somewhat reluctant, thinking of the expense -- but today she told me that she has enough airmiles and would "buy" my airfare there and back. Call me a brat, but that makes the offer pretty darn tempting. ;-)

I adore the city of London, but it's incredibly overwhelming, and as mom seems to have her heart set on seeing the quaint country villages, that's probably where we'll set our sights. She mentioned the possibility of finding a place to stay in the Cotswolds (we spent an afternoon there on my first visit to England). She also mentioned wanting to see the Lake District, although I'm not sure where that is on the map, to be honest (and so far I've been too lazy to look).

For any of you who live/travel in England, what kind of recommendation would you make for us if we wanted to visit quaint (but relatively comfortable) English villages for the most part? Specific villages/cities and bed & breakfasts would be terrific. I'm not opposed to driving, but train travel would be nice too.

Comments (24)