SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fun2cook

Recommendations for Wood flooring?

fun2cook
13 years ago

Hi All, I'm in the midst of a big kitchen remodel, that also involves taking out the walls between the kitchen and living/dining room. The kitchen is already open to the family room, so we will have a big open floor plan. After years of having walls carve up and divide our space, we are very happy about this change. But now the floors? We want to have unified flooring in the LR, DR, FR, and Kit. We absolutely prefer wood. But here comes the hard part. We are an active family with 3 kids, 3 dogs and 3 cats. Whatever we choose has to stand up to some abuse. And of course there is always concern about a major water issue. I know small spills can usually be wiped up with out issue, but what about big things like DW pump breaking and flooding the floor? I recently heard that some engineered wood is actually better than hardwood (I found this hard to believe). Floor guy said new engineered products made in US, not imports, resist buckling from water better than solid wood. Any comments?

Please give suggestions on which brands or types of wood flooring resist scratching and other damage the best? We don't want to get distressed wood. We figure we will 'distress' it enough.

Comments (9)