SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdjet

Death of only child

tdjet
16 years ago

It has been just over a year since my son's life was taken from me by a drunk driver. This has been the most horrible experience of my life. My wife and I are on the verge of divorce and I am at a loss as to how to cope.

I found this forum yesterday and was hoping that it might help.

Since he was our only child and my wife cannot have another it is particularily difficult. I was not his biological father but fully loved and accepted him as my own. My wife and I had many discussions on this subject and I was very proud to have him as my son, content with the love that he and I shared with each other.

I do not feel like any kind of a man. The deep pain and sorrow that I feel is compounded by the fact that I literally don't have anybody to talk to. I have been focussing so much on my wife and the real pain that she is going through that I have fogotten about my needs to grieve. Lately I have tried to express to her that I need to start grieving but her support group (friends, family and phyciatrist) have all told her that she needs to focus on herself and the life that she had with Jarret period. I don't feel that I fit into her life or was of any value to Jarret's.

I am starting councilling for myself in a couple of days but I don't put a lot of trust in these so called proffessionals. How can they say that I am not important to my wife at a time like this? My wife has been very mean since our sons passing, which is understandable but that anger is slowly pushing me away from her. All we ever do is fight anytime we try to have a serious conversation. It has gotten worse recently since I have tried to talk about my grieving. Effectively shutting me up. So I sit patiently and listen about the pain she is going through.

Any words of advice from the community would be so greatly appreciated. Confused lost and frightened.

Comments (16)

Sponsored