SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanelewis

Advice when carpet installer damaged other flooring

susanelewis
14 years ago

I had high end axminister patterned carpeting installed on my stairway. The installer screwed up the bottom 5 stairs and had to come back today with new carpet to redo those stairs. He AGAIN screwed up the bottom 2 stairs (cut the piece entirely wrong) and the pattern is way off. So now again, 2 more stairs of carpet have to be reordered and reinstalled.

Here are my gripes:

1. The bottom five stairs were one piece originally. NOW they are in 3 pieces which means the crotch of more stairs are not a nice match (like if it was 1 piece).

2. I have lost a full day of work because this guy could not install this job correctly the first time.

3. But most of all, he put a large scratch in my laminate flooring at the base of the stairs. Large enough to be noticeable and grate on my nerves. The laminate is only 2 months old.

My question to everyone in the business is: What is the obligation of this installer regarding his shoddy workmanship, my lost hours and most of all, the damage to the flooring?

He offered to pay for the fix, but the problem is that I have a custom solid maple transition installed in the doorway (nailed and glued). The laminate installer said that he started in that doorway and would most likely have to remove most of the boards and pry up the transition. There is no guarantee it would not be damaged. I'm not sure I could stand all that. The area is in the landing area of our basement so not seen every day but knowing it is there is really making me angry.

What is fair here? I want just compensation for the damage. I know to redo that area it would be well over $200.

Comments (16)