SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gosalsk

'Impossible' to carpet without seaming + Lowes problems

gosalsk
12 years ago

I apologize for this being a first post here, but I have two issues with a recent purchase and install of carpet from Lowes. The first has to do with the layout of the carpet. Lowes sent a guy to measure the house, and I told him I was considering getting a loop pile carpet, what a lot of people would call berber, though it's just a basic carpet without the loops cut.

It's a split plan house with two kids' bedrooms on one end. Each is about 13' square, and there's a short, straight hallway connecting them. There's some closets and a bathroom between the bedrooms.

I told the guy I was considering carpet that wouldn't seam well, but I was going to get it in a 15' width. He told me there'd be no seams and showed me a crude drawing of the rooms, saying (or at least strongly suggesting) that it'd be one piece on grain with the bathroom cutout used for the master closet.

So, you can imagine what I ended up with--well, not really. Instead of running the grain of the carpet down the hall, they ran it perpendicular. They used the whole 15' width of the carpet from the wall of the bedroom into the hall, so the seam between each bedroom and the hall is 2' out in the hallway. And, to cap it off, the piece in between is actually two seamed together --and they aren't the same size, either. So there's three oddly spaced seams in a 10' hallway. The carpet is a short, fairly dense loop. Even though I'd say the seaming is competent, the seams stand out like a sore thumb.

They also did some damage to the carpet in the master bedroom in the corner doorway to the bathroom, tore several loops and heavily abraded an 18" line in front of the left side of the door jamb. There's two smaller abrasions, one six inches to the left and the other corresponding to the other side of the jamb.

Anyway, Lowes sent their "installation services manager" and the installer sent a guy to look at it. The installer claimed the abrasion was caused by me vacuum cleaning it. And the Lowes guy inexplicably agreed with him. He said calling an inspector would be a formality, and he was sure they would say it was caused by the vacuum. The installer pulled out a pair of wire cutters and tried to start...let's be honest here, destroying the evidence. I told him to stop and ended up raising my voice, gesturing with the vacuum cleaner in the air and daring them to try to make another tear in the carpet with it. I found similar smaller abrasions in the corners of the other rooms, particularly in the closets (which are the far corners), so I know for a fact it wasn't the vacuum cleaner. Not my finest hour, but I'm completely sure about that one.

My question is actually about the hallway. The installer guy, who was the same guy that measured it and told me there'd be no seams, now says "that's impossible" and that seams were unavoidable. He even said, barely able to keep a straight face, that they had planned from the get-go to install it across the grain and piece the hallway with an extra seam... he didn't give me a reason.

Thanks for listening to all that. What I really want to know is if it's actually impossible to have done the two bedrooms and the connecting hallway as one piece as the guy said they would (and now claims is impossible). I don't see why it would be, though I suppose I could have misunderstood what he was saying.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might offer.

Comments (7)