SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missz_gw

Going crazy trying to find a match in engineered wood!

missZ
10 years ago

Hello all,

I'm midway through a kitchen renovation. We have extended the kitchen into what was once a cold storage area, and I'm trying to find an engineered wood to match the birch mill-run wood throughout the rest of our house. It's proving dang near IMPOSSIBLE!

All the engineered wood I look at has almost no variation in it. The birch we see is all very light and uniform. The closest colour match we've found is in red oak - but it's very clearly not the same species. I don't mind if it doesn't match perfectly but I'm surprised we can't get closer than this. It is kind of killing me to pay so much for a very inexact match.

Has anyone seen any engineered wood with this type of variation? I'm attaching a photo of my original floor so you can see what it looks like.

Obviously I would put down hardwood, but it's on a concrete slab, with radiant heat underneath. We've even had a few people suggest we could just go with the hardwood anyway, since it's a small space and above ground, but we're nervous about that route. The break is literally in the middle in the kitchen, in between the stove and the sink, so it would be awkward to jump to tile or something like that.

Any suggestions??
TIA!

Comments (12)