SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetbabyjames5_gw

Flooring Dilemna - what to do???

sweetbabyjames5
12 years ago

I have about 2100sf of flooring where I would like solid hardwood to be put down. Unfortunately, this house is on a slab, and everyone who has bid on this project has recommended engineered wood. Now, I am not against engineered wood. My old house had it in the family room and that wood I despised, but I know there is some good quality engineered wood out there. I am a traditional girl - my heart was set on 2 1/4 unfinished white oak to be finished on site. It seems like almost all engineered wood has beveled or micro-beveled edges, which I do not like - at all. Square edges seem to be harder to find.

So, DH and I cannot decide what to do - should we have all current flooring torn out, sub floors put in, unfinished solid laid down -OR- do we take the advice of three unrelated flooring guys and go with the engineered wood (does anyone have a rec of unfinished or prefinished 2 1/4" square edge engineered that is good quality)?

This is our forever house. We will probably sell one day down the road when we can no longer go up the stairs or clean a house of it's size. That's at least 40 years away. I need a durable flooring that will withstand the test of time. I love solid hardwood. What do you think?

Comments (10)