SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frustrated_son_inlaw

Grandparents' boundaries

I have tried. I really have.

Im somewhere in the Shenandoah Valley. I canÂt fall asleep because my heart is troubled as my wife and I are starting to have marital problems because of my mother in law (MIL). I am about to explode and really want to ask my MIL not to come into my house for a while; forget about seeing/spending time my sons Âher grandchildren. I understand there will be consequences (i.e. a lot of drama and possibly damage to my professional relationship with my father in law as we work together)

I understand this might be the wrong place to post this rant as most of you, readers, are "grandparents", but IÂd actually like to hear/read your opinions.

My mother in law is driving me nuts. She is constantly out of place and assumes she has the right to raise my children "her way" as if they were her children. She doesnÂt respect the boundaries. She doesnÂt understand that parents and grandparents have very different roles -- and the role of the grandparents IS NOT to step on the parents toes! SheÂs a meddler and says meddling is her "spiritual gift." Where in the Bible does it say that anyways? As far as I know, the Bible doesnÂt even mention the word "grandparent," let alone legalize all the meddling.

Here are a few examples:

My MIL wanted to pick the kids names. Excuse me? This is only the parents privilege. Even before my first son was born, she had strong opinions; my wife and I kept the name in secret and announced it after the baby was born. Of course she was not happy with the name, but still she WANTED TO SEND THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT Âwhich is also the parents privilege. Days after the baby was born she started to buy, buy, buy and buy stuff for the newborn; I know she has a lot of $$, but I want to raise my children in a different way, that they learn to appreciate the little their parents can give them.

She also made my son suck his thumb and as a result he has not used a pacifier and will very likely need dental work in the future; my MILÂs lame excuse was, "I WILL PAY FOR THE ORTHODONTICS." What a shame.

Now she insists my son will be an engineer like his uncle (wifeÂs brother); what the hell? My son is my son, not my brother in lawÂs son! Besides, why is my MIL giving opinions? My kidÂs career will be his own choice when he knows what heÂd like to be in the future, but if anyone should recommend /influence his career --that would be his father (ME). My MIL is constantly out of place.

When my second son was born, she again, wanted to name him and send the announcement, and even though my wife tried to stop her, she did it anyways. I think my MIL refuses to "grow;" she is 61 but she still wants to be "cool grandma." She should spend time with women her age, not with women my wifeÂs age! But whatever she does (I donÂt care), she shouldnÂt come to my house when she knows IÂm not here, and she shouldnÂt meddle in other peopleÂs lives!

My MIL is somewhat known as the gossiper of her church and town. Many people know she talks about everyone and tells about the lives of everybody to everyone else. I hate when I run into people that I donÂt know but they know me because my MIL told them more than enough about my family. It is irritating. I constantly feel like my privacy is violated, actually I think I donÂt have privacy anymore, not even at home. She calls and comes to my house whenever she wants to... unannounced! (although recently my wife asked her to come only a couple of times/week, but she MIL won't listen and still comes more than she should!)

Unfortunately, her husband wonÂt control his wife. He is a good guy and he and I get along okay, but IÂm afraid my patience is running low and we will have some problems, this of course, because of the meddlerÂs behaviour.

As for my wife, she is very insecure and pretty vulnerable to what her mom says/does. My wife doesn't have many friends (*sigh*) and I think it's because her mom never let her.

I donÂt know what to do. I donÂt want my MIL around my children. I simply donÂt want her around my children anymore.

I have tried. I really have.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals